The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil filter bolt size?

coyotes

I'm changing my oil filter and want to snug up the bolt that it threads onto, I don't have the right socket so I want to make sure I buy the right one. What size is it? Thanks and yes I'm stupid.

Previous owner had the oil filter on so tightly I had to destroy it to get it off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

prove_it

you'll need a 24mm deep socket. Your better off pulling the bolt out and applying red lock tite to it and properly torqueing it down. No more worries.

Also your filter may have been too tight, but most likely the filter was installed with the oring un-lubed. Light oil on the seal helps prevent the filter from being a pain to remove.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Edit: Lolz, prove_it beat me to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

According to this, the "magic" spec is 35 ft/lbs: click

Good luck with this. I cleaned mine, applied red Locktite, and it still backed off. I swapped to a 90 air cooler OFH to eliminate the issue. Some guys have never had a problem though, so IDK. I would just make sure you clean the bolt and threads really well, so the Locktite can do it's job. Also, don't over-torque the bolt, or you will crush the sandwich plate, and have your oil and coolant mixing.

Last edited:

prove_it

Still backed off? Even with the red loctite and at 35LbsFt? You had to have been over tightening the filter. I have seen some bolts that have damaged threads where the filter threads on, and that will cause the filter threads to "catch" the bolt and spin it out when removing.

coyotes

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Edit: Lolz, prove_it beat me to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

According to this, the "magic" spec is 35 ft/lbs: click

Good luck with this. I cleaned mine, applied red Locktite, and it still backed off. I swapped to a 90 air cooler OFH to eliminate the issue. Some guys have never had a problem though, so IDK. I would just make sure you clean the bolt and threads really well, so the Locktite can do it's job. Also, don't over-torque the bolt, or you will crush the sandwich plate, and have your oil and coolant mixing.

Thanks everyone, I got it taken care of. It was not on very tight, which may have been causing a slow oil leak I had. Although, the filter was on so tight it likely backed it off some more. My friend is borrowing my torque wrench, so I just snugged it back down tight. I will go back and locktite and torque properly another time.

prove_it

Famous last words....

GSTwithPSI

Quoting prove_it:
Still backed off? Even with the red loctite and at 35LbsFt? You had to have been over tightening the filter. I have seen some bolts that have damaged threads where the filter threads on, and that will cause the filter threads to "catch" the bolt and spin it out when removing.

Yeah, still backed off. I always tighten my filters by hand, and have done enough oil filter changes on the 4G63 to be confident it wasn't over tightened. It happened twice, once before I ever even touched the filter, if that proves anything.

The water cooled housing is just a shitty design. The only real fix is linked above, or to replace it with an air cooled unit. Locktite and a re-torque may work for some, but isn't a sure fix IMO. At some point, chances are that bolt backs out again, and your filter comes loose. Whether it happens while your going down the road on the freeway, or sitting in your garage is up to chance. If the car is running when the filter spins off, it's gonna sh*t every drop of oil out of the car, that IS for sure. Hopefully, the motor doesn't blow up when it does.

I know Wop had this problem, corrected the issue years ago, and never had a problem since. Maybe he can chime in and post exactly what he did to get good results.

Last edited:

coyotes

Maybe I should invest in an oil cooler and air cooled housing. At least the bolt is on tighter now than it was before, I will check it again next oil change. You have to remove the front case to remove the housing right?

Would it harm the car to run the air cooled housing with no oil cooler?

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

No, the front case stays in place. Overall, the swap is simple. You do have to pull most of the bolts out of the lower timing cover though. There is one bolt on the OFH hidden behind the cover. You don't have to completely remove the timing cover, just loosen it to the point that it pulls away from the OFH enough to clear that one bolt. It's pretty easy, actually.

The more difficult part is mounting the oil cooler, although, it's also pretty easy. I didn't even have to remove the bumper to do it. I can post pictures of how/where I mounted mine if you're serious about the swap. I still have A/C too. With the cooler in its current position though, I would need to relocate it if I were to add a FMIC. I have another 90 OFH and cooler setup if you're interested. I'll sell it to you for exactly what I paid for it. PM me if you want it.

As far as running an air cooled housing with no cooler, it's not unheard of. I actually have a block off kit from STM as a backup, allowing you to do exactly that. Would it hurt anything? Probably not. But I'd expect you may loose some longevity that would be earned by lower and more controlled engine oil temps though.

For a stock daily driver that doesn't get flogged, no oil cooler would probably be acceptable. You should consider other factors, like allowing the car extra time to cool down before turning off the engine, especially if the motor has been operated hard or at a high rate of speed.

For a modded vehicle that's driven hard even on occasion, I'd say bad idea. But, when comparing no oil cooler, to an oil cooler that has the potential to kill your motor in a matter of seconds, and I'd go with no oil cooler.

Last edited:

Wookalar

Just buy a air cooled oil filter housing, some nice fittings and hose, a nice oil cooler, and never have to touch it again or worry about crushing some stupid diaphram, filters backing off etc.

B&m makes an entry level oil cooler or you can step up to mocal or setrab.

Last edited:

coyotes

Drove to work today, did not see any oil in coolant or vice versa. Does not appear that I over tightened. How long does it take to show up?

You guys got me all paranoid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

GSTwithPSI

Lol, it's a waiting game now. You won't know when it's going to come loose, but you'll damn sure know if it ever does. Mine was fine for a few weeks before it came loose again.

transparentdsm

i run a forward facing oil filter housing with no cooler at all and my car runs fine. unless your autocrossing the car or you really drive the hell out of it i don't see the need for oil coolers in our cars. even for drag racing you can use just one of these housings as long as you give the oil the same cool down time your supposed to give the clutch. i did a lot of reading and saw a lot of things saying you can and you shouldn't do this, so i decided to make my own opinion. i have had it like this on the car daily driving it since may of last year. i have put around 20k miles on the motor and setup i have and i have had 0 negative effects.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned