The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Diagnosis Time! Suspension/Steering Issue!

alansupra94

So I have been having this issue for a while now and figured it is time to ask to see what people think it is to give me a good idea what to look for. Here are my issues:

1. Very loud noise when going straight and turning left (I think its a wheel bearing).
2. Car isn't aligned properly and wants to go to the left (especially when braking).
3. Car makes a larger turning radius when turning to the left (I will double check to make sure that is the right direction) than right

What do you think it is? And no its not the solar panel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Terry Posten

You have a tie rod adjusted improperly. That is causing one wheel to be sliding going forward instead of tracking straight. That will eventually kill wheel bearings, tires, steering boxes, and ball joints due to the excessive force constantly on the tire.

This also why you turning radius is better in one direction and horrible the other way (although GVR4 turning radius is crap normally).

Get that fixed, you will get better tire wear, better gas mileage, safer driving, and a better driving experience.

alansupra94

I am going to get that adjusted this weekend. I am assuming it would only be the cost of a basic alignment right? This is pobably the one thing I don't know well....is it possible the tie rod is broken?

I guess I should mention that the steering wheel has a ton of play....I can basically shake the wheel and the car still goes straight.

Last edited:

misterfixit

Probably is the inner joints on the rack.

Jack the car up with the front wheels off the deck and wiggle everyting and see what moves.

Rich

alansupra94

I am going to check this tonight.

My new question is since I have a 5 lug swap, I would get 1g DSM wheel bearings correct or would they be the same? I planned on replacing a whole ton of sh*t next Spring (wheel bearings, bushing (poly), suspension (evo)) and is there anything else I should replace suspension/steering wise while I am down there?

For now I think I am going to check the tie-rod and/or replace it and do the wheel bearings in the front right since it makes so much god damn noise.

dammitjim

Quoting alansupra94:
I am assuming it would only be the cost of a basic alignment right? This is pobably the one thing I don't know well....is it possible the tie rod is broken?

If a tie rod was broken one of the wheels would be stuck fully in or out and the car wouldn't be driveable. The alignment shop will probably want to repair any suspension or steering components that are bad before doing the alignment. There isn't much point in aligning a car with bad tie rods, trashed control arm bushings, etc.

A quick check for tie rods is to get the front wheels in the air, grab one at 9 and 3 oclock and push them in and out. If you hear any clunking that is probably play in a tie rod.

Last edited:

misterfixit

just check all the joints, you may find its something loose, undone. and/or a combination of things.

Rich

ps once you've shaken and jiggled everytbing pull the wheel off and look again. Once drove throuhg Switzerland with a caliper bolt missing. that made some odd noises as it dragged on the inside of the wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

alansupra94

I think Mistuturbo or CarRacer gave me this link.

click

I probably will replace the tie-rod (inner and outer) of the side that is messed up as well as the wheel bearing and do the rest of it next year when I am doing the full suspension/steering/rust coating overhaul.

In case anyone wants to know, There is only ONE front wheel bearing (with inner and outer seals) for each side. For the rear there is an INNER and OUTER wheel bearing for both sides. Also it seems that Rockauto has the cheapest prices by far for those bearings.

dammitjim

Advance Auto Parts has some really good prices with their coupons

$10 off $30, $30 off $75, $50 off $150
Use Advance Auto Parts Coupon VISA

$10 off $30, $20 off $50, $30 off $100
Use Advance Auto Parts Coupon A123 or UPROMISE123 or PAYPAL or ES123

$30 off Orders of $75 or More
Use Advance Auto Parts Coupon BIG30

$35 off $85
Use Advance Auto Parts Coupon RAF7JA1102

alansupra94

I was going to use advanced automotive but rockauto with a 5% discount was cheaper. RockAuto overall is much cheaper than advanced auto even after coupons.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned