The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering rack & pinion options

Mr_Fielgood

The steering rack is going out on me. Boots are torn and making noise when turning.
Need options and opinions. Don't think I want to rebuild it but suggestions are welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I would rather buy a whole rack but I want to know the best sites to purchase from.

pot

Staff member
Rock Auto is always a safe bet. There may even be a coupon code in the "For Sale" column. Otherwise, provided you furnish a core most auto parts retailers should carry a remanufactured rack. More so for 1g if your wanting to eliminate 4WS.

transparentdsm

are you sure the rack is bad? my car has 207,xxx miles on it and mine is still good. i had to replace the inner and outer tie rod ends and boots and i was good to go.

Mr_Fielgood

In response to
Poster: transparentdsm
Subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion options

Quote:
are you sure the rack is bad? my car has 207,xxx miles on it and mine is still good. i had to replace the inner and outer tie rod ends and boots and i was good to go

I'm pretty sure. I am going to double check as soon as I get the galant up on my rack.

KiNgMaRtY

Contact Tony Bird. He is a long time DSM owner and I have bought 2 VR4 specific front racks from them in the past. They will rebuild yours if they don't have any in stock.
click

Mr_Fielgood

Quote:
In response to
Poster: KiNgMaRtY

Contact Tony Bird. He is a long time DSM owner and I have bought 2 VR4 specific front racks from them in the past. They will rebuild yours if they don't have any in stock.
click

Yeah I contacted them and they gave me a price of $495 with a $300 core charge. A big out of my price range.

Mr_Fielgood

Quote:
In response to
Poster: KiNgMaRtY

click

Yeah I contacted them and they gave me a price of $495 with a $300 core charge. A bit out of my price range.

Fiascoxl

A rack rebuild is quite simple actually, taking the rack done is the pita part which you got to do anyway. Save the money and DIY.

91GVR4BG

The problem is finding the correct parts for the rebuild. I thought I found a kit and everything looked good, but my rack leaks worse now lol. I'm pretty sure the kit was for a 2ws rack not 4ws and pretty sure there's a diff. Anyway I just sent a rack I bought on here over to buyautoparts.com. And they are having it rebuilt for me. They were the only place I found online that said they had them in stock and for sale. When I bought it I later found out they ran out of cores. But Matt worked with me and said I could send mine in or another and they would hook it up. I'll post the rebuild cost and pics when I get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Brian Terhune of Terhune racing can also rebuild them for about $300-350, just have to send yours to him.

Last edited:

91GVR4BG

Hey guys buyautoparts.com has a rack in stock if anyone is in need. I just got mine rebuilt by them and was told they had found a core. click

91GVR4BG

Just got my rack today and all I can say is wow. They did a fantastic job in the r&r rack looks brand new. And they even gave me a 12 month warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
After, , before,
img.php

Last edited:

Mr_Fielgood

Turns out my problem wasn't the steering rack. The loud noise was from a loose axle nut. Tightened that bitch up & put a new cotter pin and the noise was gone.

G

Staff member
Who did the rack?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned