The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Delete power steering pulley on water pump

mr.mitsu

Just a quick question....

Can I just eliminate the pulley on the water pump if I don't have power steering? And just use washers as spacers under the alternator pulley?

It makes sense in my head but I can't find any info on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks guys

slugsgomoo

why bother? Are you building a 12,000 RPM race motor and worry about the 2.3 ounces that pulley weighs?

slugsgomoo

ok, maybe I shouldn't be so trollolololol about it...

Seriously though, if your thickness is off, you're going to toss alternator belts and have no power and no cooling. I don't think it's worth it.

I've got a car with no PS and it's had that pulley doing nothing on it for like the last 35k with no issues /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Jesus_Negros

Possibly a net gain of 20-25 horsepower though.

mr.mitsu

Reason being, I'm doing the timing and upon removal of all the pulleys I realized the power steering pulley literally does nothing!

I have the exact same thickness washers underneath. I don't see any adverse effects. I just like to eliminate unnecessary...anything!

Thanks

slugsgomoo

assuming they're exactly the same size, and center perfectly I don't see why not, but I would want to avoid undue vibration.

I'm all for tearing stuff out (I'm guessing my car has less stuff installed on it than yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsught.gif ) but I think this is one of those unnecessary steps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mr.mitsu

I see what you're saying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's hard to agree though when I'm holding this "dead" weight in my hands ready to chuck it over the fence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

curtis

As long as the washers are the same thickness go for it.

Something else often overlooked is the pulley on the crank for the balance shaft. You can chuck up the pulley on a lathe and cut off everything and make a spacer or buy one from a engine that didn't have balance shafts. I think its a 1.6 but don't quote me on that.

656of1000

Quote:
...buy one from a engine that didn't have balance shafts. I think its a 1.6 but don't quote me on that.

You are correct, sir. It is from the Mirage with the 1.6L. The part number is MD128107.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned