The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I messed up bad.....Wobbling Water Pump Pulley

desant78

Hello Gvr4.org

This is my first build, and I am truly learning a ton as I go. Unfortunately, it was 4am as I was pushing to get the motor into the car, and ran into a bit of a problem.

I mounted the power steering pulley on the wrong side of the water pump (never assume) and when I put the motor in the car, had some clearence issues. I thought they were related to not having all the motor mounts torque and with a bolt, so I did that, and ended up pressing the water pump and power steering pulley into the chasis. I finally did some research, fixed my mistake and now there is a wobbling to my pulley.

video

Look at the bottom of the video you can see how the pulley is wobbling.

Do I need a new water pump pulley? this is a new pulley, along with new timing belt etc. I'll take opinions on the matter, I'm on the fence about replacing the pulley, or breaking out the dial gauge and banging the pulley until it runs relatively true, but that seems like a band-aid.

Let me know, I could use the food for thought real bad.

thank you guys for your time.

transparentdsm

you have to pull that pulley off and see if it bent or if you bent the water pump in it's self. in a more general answer yes it needs to be fixed you can't run the car like that. also if it is a bent pulley ill see if i have one laying in my basement i can send you for free.

EMX5636

I'm with transparent. I doubt you bent the waterpump shaft, but I have seen the pulleys bend. Take it off, and either let him send you one, or anyone else who has one laying around, scuff and paint it, looks brandy new. No worries, but I feel beating the pulley straight is just un-needed aggravation when you have helpful guys here on the forum like him.

desant78

Unfortunately, that was a new (rather different) Water pump pulley than the one that had the pressure applied to it. It is the same P.S. pulley though.

After work I will try the water pump pulley alone, and if that does not work just replace the water pump. Thanks for the help!

desant78

Quoting transparentdsm:
you have to pull that pulley off and see if it bent or if you bent the water pump in it's self. in a more general answer yes it needs to be fixed you can't run the car like that. also if it is a bent pulley ill see if i have one laying in my basement i can send you for free.

thanks for the offer, luckily dustyduff did some cleaning and I had one lying around. Def appreciate the offer man! thanks!

donniekak

Is the dowel through the pulleys, or pressing on the back of them. There re 5 holes in them, 4 for bolts, and 1 for the dowel.

SmoothCustomer

^ I bet that's what it is. I would be very very surprised if the shaft was bent and it was not leaking. Check the weep hole to see if it's damp.

desant78

The dowel pin was in the correct spot, when I placed the motor in the wrong placement of the pulley wedged the pump against the chasis.

I have a good water pump pulley, but does anyone have a power steering pulley they'd be willing to sell? I order a new water pump (old one was bent the mating surface for the pulleys), so I'd prefer to also just use a known good power steering pulley.

let me know, thanks guys!

JNR

Maybe use a puller, like most pulley applications (that do not have a nut).

transparentdsm

hey means the pulley that is on the water pump. the power steering pump drive pulley. i have shipped the pulley by the way Sal, you will have it on friday.

mikus

^ pointing out once that you're blocking a user, OK fine. Doing it again the next day, in the tech forum? Poor form.

Is hard posting a thing, do people say that yet

JNR

I think he needs the attention.

Anyway, I'm flattered you would go out of your way to let me know this...Do I care? No.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts