The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DD Build 474/1000

matt92vr4

168,100 mile update. I was getting spark blowout over 15psi. I was still running the crappy 7mm no-brand wires that the OP had on there. They were over 10 years old. I pulled the plugs and saw they were gapped at 40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Last night I installed 8.5mm Magnecor wires and new BPR7ES plugs gapped at 25. Up'ed the boost to 20 and she is rolling out hard and smooth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also fixed the 2 step and cruise control. I'm planning to hit the track on Thursday with the 2 step and increased boost. See if I can knock off a 12.

Before going to the track I'm gonna change all the fluids and do a boost leak test. I noticed at 15psi it would hold steady, but at 20psi it starts to fade a little up top. Is this normal on a small 16g?

matt92vr4

168,400 mile update. It appears as though she spun a rod bearing. She is going to sit for a while until I figure out which path to take. Kinda bummed out a little.

matt92vr4

After a 6 month break, it's about that time again. I ordered an EV03 16G (I can't pull the motor without installing a bigger turbo!), HKS 264/272 cams, and a cyclone intake.

Need to order:
clutch
wideband

I'm going to complete the evo9 ic and emclinkv3 sd install and get it running before I yank the motor. I need advice and suggestions on anything I'm missing that would be killer for a fun DD. THanks for reading.

-Matt

matt92vr4

Well after a few months unexpected delays I was finally able to work on the Galant today. Round 2 beins! I'm just going to get it running again and do the SD conversion later. I need it for a DD ASAP. So I found the culprit, one rod bearing has spun. I got eagle rods, wiseco pistons, a new crank, HKS cams, evo3 16g, and a cyclone intake going back in. Here are a couple pics from today.

Owen did most of the grunt work.

ade

git er done!

matt92vr4

OK guys, need your help. I completely disassembled the block today and found that all of the rod bearings were wiped and the mains didn't look to hot either. I also found something strange. One of the BS delete bearing is wiped. How that that be? There is no moving parts on that bearing! The engine did not encounter a "catastrophic" event. It was still running when I parked it. I want to make sure to find the actual cause of this failure before I put all the new parts in. Have you guys ever seen damage on an used BS bearing before? Thanks for looking.

matt92vr4

Finally finished the bathroom project so now I can focus in on the Galant. Here are a couple pics of the recent progress.

Eagle Crank installed (we'll see how she does)

Wiseco 9:1 pistons and Eagle rods

Ring gaps set at .019 and .024

Pistons hung

Pistons and Rods installed

HKS Cams installed

matt92vr4

OK, got some decent work done this weekend. Not as much as I had hoped for but it rained for a while. She's all ready to drop in next weekend. Here are some pics:

Front case cleaned, primed, and installed

Head about to go on

Timing on

Nom Nom...

Nom Nom Nom...

Nom Nom Nom Nom...

Big brother looking on...

matt92vr4

Fired her up today. She purred like a kitten. Cams sounds great. Brought her up to temp, no leaks. Tomorrow I will change the oil and I have to modify the downpipe a little to mate up to the EVO3 o2 housing. w00t w00t

matt92vr4

Changed the oil tonight after initial start up. Cut and welded the downpipe to mate up with the EVO3 o2 housing. Welded a new exhaust tip on that looks much better than the old one. Drove to the gas station and car wash. She is running like a champ. I think I'm going to modify the exhaust a little. It bumps a little on start up. It's nice being back in the drivers seat. Man it's hard not to go WOT when I hear the turbo spooling.

CutlassJim

What did you end up with for a clutch in this thing?

matt92vr4

I ended up going with a ACT 2100 kit:
click

We'll see if it holds. It feels like stock, so I'm really happy about that. I'll be driving this 200+ miles per week and my wife drives it on occasion too so I thought I'd give the 2100 a shot.

Here is a pic of the exhaust. Much better with the tip and fixed the off-center issue.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

I forgot to add the Cyclone pics to this thread. Here is the link:
click

I could not seem to find Cyclone brackets for sale so I modified the three USA brackets to work. Info at the link above and pic below.

matt92vr4

I've been working the last couple nights on getting the battery to the trunk. Finished it up today. It turned out really nice. I bought this kit from Summit:

I should have taken better pictures of the process, but I was welding out in my driveway late at night and didn't think the neighbors would like me stopping for pictures. I welded a couple nuts and a bracket to the rear passenger trunk area to mount the box flat. It's very stable. Then I ran the cables through the trunk fabric sides. I grounded it to the bumper bolt which I have since read doesn't work. I checked grounding continuity from that bolt to a number of different places around the car and everything was OK. Car starts fine. I guess I'll check the voltage at the battery with the car running tomorrow.

I originally planned on running the power cable under the car but when I got to that point it was late and I didn't feel like crawling under it. This turned out to be a good choice because running it inside along the passenger side is very easy. It's almost like Mitsu wanted me to put it there 20 years ago. I took out the rear seats and passenger seat (I could have left the passenger seat in). This was the first time the carpet was ever up. I found a bunch of things from the old owner. The best was a gas receipt from 1994 for $1.40/gallon.

Anyways, again I didn't take enough pics. I removed the front passenger wheel and plastic wheel well trim. Ton of room in there to run the cable right beside the ABS sensor wires. Here are the only two pics I took. I'm loving all the new found space in the engine bay!

matt92vr4

Had some time to monkey around on the Galant today. I wanted to get the ECMLINK installed so I put the FP pipe and 2g MAF on. I'm still running the stock IC for now so I had to reroute BOV to recirculate. I ended up cutting the stock lower IC pipe and moving the BOV closer to the TB. It turned out nice. Hopefully soon I'll have time to install the EVO8 IC and 2.5" piping I've collected.

Got the ECMLINK in. Car is running great. I forgot how awesome LINK is lol. Thanks for looking.

img.php

matt92vr4

It's been over a month so I guess I'll post an update. I'm about half way done with the EVO8 IC and 2.5" piping install. It's going well and I'm really happy with how everything has turned out so far. I'll post more when I'm done, but here are a few pics. Uncut bumper cover, fogs, and I painted the IC black last night. Going for the stock sleeper look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thanks for looking.

This is what it looks like with the bumper cover off. I didn't see any pics of this online so maybe this will help someone in the future. I'm replacing the passenger side fog, so it was removed during this pic.

This pic shows how much (or little) of the bumper that I had to cut off.

This pic shows moving the power steering line back a little and a hammered back core support beam. It was easy and only took a minute. No worries there.

I welded two nuts into the car so I can bolt up the EVO8 IC using it's standard lower hangers.

This is how it looks so far. Since it will be hidden and black, it is conveniently not centered. Pushing it over a little to the passenger side gave me more room to run the hot side through.

The passenger side pipe will not sag that much when it's finished. I did cut way too much of the metal away though. No need for that. You can also see in this pic that the hot side of the IC has been cut off and rotated. I just got it back from the weld shop. I hope to have it all completed in the next two weeks.

JamesFoster

Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

matt92vr4

Thanks! Just like yours! (totally kidding)

Made a little progress today. I have the two cold side pipes finished and painted. Painted the IC and permanently mounted it. Also decided to paint the FP MAF pipe black. turned out nice. Thanks for looking!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned