The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Crazy Stroker Thoughts

belize1334

I wouldn't even think of building a stroker or 2.4L w/o a kiggley girdle. And I don't think that the block is weaker. I'm not sure why RRE claims to have head-gasket problems given that most head gaskets are 87mm which is still bigger than an unbored 2.4L but maybe it has something to do with the head dome not quite matching the cylinder walls. Either way, I think that ARP head-studs and an OEM or MLS gasket should still be fine for

prove_it

Will do captian!

my 2.4 stroker is a 4g64 block on a 4g63 head, just i lost my front engine mount and had to fab one up from scratch.

StarionESIR

a 2.4 motor using the 4G64 block and crank, isnt a stroker motor. I have a 4G64 motor that I will be building for my 93 AWD DSM. Im going to be using an HX35 with the BEP housing which should be an amazing combo with that motor, good for upwards of 500HP.

The EVO-X pistons are made by Mahle which is probably why they're so much money, besides the fact that they are new cars and im sure the manufacturer wants you to pay up if you managed to break a piston already.

Im going to look into those Kiggly girdle's now, as my original plan was just to use the bridged main caps (4G63 is bridged, 4G64 is not) and have it line honed.

turboaddict

save the trouble, if you want a turbo to respond that fast just do a e316g with a 6cm. With my e316g I get boost by 3000. Why would you want it to spool that fast anyway all you are going to do is KILL your gas mileage.

bazeng

It is just in AUS or are the 4g64's 7bolt?

Over here we use the G4CS blocks out of HYUNDAI Sonata's.

Anyway, I've done this already (current engine)

Everything is pretty much straight forward.
All I had to mod
- oil squirter redrill
- custom pistons (running long rods on my setup)
- oil pickup mod (ARP main stud issue)
- no knock sensor thread - haven't resolved this as yet
- cam gear markings - about 1/2 a tooth off each gear (pics available on the how to section)

Thats all I can really think of at the moment.

belize1334

You can get a 6-bolt 4g64 here in the US. I believe that, like the 7-bolt, there's no threads for the knock sensor. There is however a place to tap the hole for the sensor so it shouldn't be an issue.

As for the turbo spool and boost threshold, do I really have to explain why a lower boost threshold and faster spool are desirable?

Last edited:

StarionESIR

If you mean the 4G64 in the Galant, that would be a 94 Galant GS. That motor is a 7 bolt. The 4G64 6 bolt motor was only offered in the US in the 1992 Mitsubishi Expo van. You can get the G4CS which is the same motor, but came in the 88-91 Hyundai Sonata with the 4cyl. The knock sensor doesnt need any specific hole in the block. As long as its in a thick piece of metal that can sense knock, than it will be alright.

Struc

As a slight addition to the above, there is also the G64B, which was in some late 80's Galants and other cars, which is basically just a 6-bolt 4G64.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned