The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1000 hp build for 100/2000

Jesus_Negros

I've never seen reliable 1000hp except in diesels.
With that said, good luck brother! I hippie you get there one day.

prove_it

I've seen/assisted in a 1100whp EVO 9. You can do it, but it's expensive. Everyone thinks 1000 is easy and you just bolt stuff in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

We had 30k in the build to hit 1100whp. 4 turbos, 12 pistons, 8 rods, 1 engine block, 1 cosworth mivec head, 3 exhausts, nitrous, multiple sets of cams, several clutches, etc. and that's the start. 100+ gallons of c16 fuel...

Not only do you break things, but the cost of swapping parts to try other ones to get more power, that's the bank breaker.

And that's just engine stuff, now with 1kwhp, you have to put it to the ground. 1kwhp builds are a joke in my opinion. Anyone that says they are shooting for that, I always tell them to call me in a year when they are parting everything out.

That reminded me about the MIVEC cam that exploded during a dyno pull.

Iceman

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I didn't start this thred for any other reason than a conversation starter. If you found yourself upset or bothered after reading this than that is on you. There are a handful of people new to these cars and the 4g63, that would like to know how and what they'll need to make more power. I just used this thread as a tool to get some info out there. Apparently everyone has an opinion and some are more bitter than others. If all goes well you can find #100 if not running @ the shootout at least there in all it's glory! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Saying HI to all my haters!!

prove_it

If your new and not familiar with the 4G63, then you should not be attempting 1k hp.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Iceman:
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I didn't start this thred for any other reason than a conversation starter. If you found yourself upset or bothered after reading this than that is on you. There are a handful of people new to these cars and the 4g63, that would like to know how and what they'll need to make more power. I just used this thread as a tool to get some info out there. Apparently everyone has an opinion and some are more bitter than others. If all goes well you can find #100 if not running @ the shootout at least there in all it's glory! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Wat?

Jesus_Negros

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting Iceman:

Wat?

2Chainz don't act brand new.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIV4PSI

I'm glad you will be at the Shootout, even if you have no chance at 1000whp.

thecman02

Feel free to come up to the Kalamazoo area. I can get you dyno time when you want to quantify how much power you are or aren't making :)

thecman02

Quoting biglady112:

Wiseco is also another garbage fad product. Not enough meat to really get crazy with things.

I'd tend to agree with most things you've said, but I've seen numerous builds make good power with custom Wiseco pistons. The off the shelf pistons are definitely more lack luster.

Gizmovr4

I'm not a fan of dyno hp numbers- they generally don't translate into usable hp. I would rather see a 500hp car that has all the supporting mods for that power level than a 1000hp car that doesn't have the supporting driveline mods, breaks every time out and never reaches its full potential . There have only been a hand full of guys that have successfully made 1k awhp and were able to put it consistently to the ground.

If you do decide to build a 1k motor first plot out your overall goal for the car - if it's going to be auto then perhaps go with a 2.0 since you will be limited to usable rpm . If stick shift be prepared to buy an expensive dog box transmission ... Basically pick your poison ! Whatever you decide to build keep in mind it's a ton of work - and depending on your personal ability could be very costly !

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
We have some very heavy hitters responding in this thread, and with good information.

Mitsu didn't make transmission worthy of the torque behind the 1000HP motor ... dogbox is right.

If people are getting very opinionated about why 1000HP/related torque output, then you have qualify that they know and have built everything up to and around that power mark.

It's not hate, or appreciate; it's reality.

curtis

Something else not listed is something you can't buy......asstime in the pilots seat of a go fast car. Asstime is uber expensive. It starts out cheap and as you go faster and faster parts prices start growing in magnitude. Decades ago the only people with fast cars were the innovators, the gearheads that had evolved to build there own parts and learn little tricks along the way, all the others trying were posers. Then came the internet anyone with a credit card can have a fast car but fast car in the hands of someone without seat time is dangerous. Everyone wants that magic 4 digit number but it usually takes thousands of hours laying on cold concrete and in the mud getting parts from a junkyard but actually when done the 400hp range scares the sh*t out of them because it doesn't hook up and the seat time isn't there. If you want a mega build, go for it ....its your junk. But don't follow the standard path, build the suspension and brakes and know what it all does so you can tune it to plant it to the ground and always remember a car is only as fast as the tires under it. Anymore to me parts are just parts, not to exciting since I've built so many cars and parts, but the most important thing I've learned over the years is a car needs to be perfectly balanced and uber light.

manikbastrd

Quoting biglady112:
Wiseco HD- off the shelf(my reasoning for my rebuttal)

Custom- probably a different conversation

Saw this the other day on the facespace...Wiseco 1400HD is an off the shelf piston isn't it?

Iceman

Update! The build is coming along nicely. Over the winter the motor had some very nice and intriguing parts replaced. I've taken most of what I read and reality in to count and 1000hp is far fetched. I'm not sure what the new motor will be capable of but I'd be just as happy with 500 for now and later on after much needed and I quote "ass time," try to reach something more... maybe never quite 1000hp. We all know or those of us after more power know are never satisfied. I appreciate everyone's input and I take all of the constructive criticism in stride. When I have more time I may post a list of just what all this beast received under the hood!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned