The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo Piston Compatibility

rez

I've read evo pistons can be installed on 1g rods w/the same machine work it takes to fit the 2g pistons. One thing I can't find the answer to is are all evo pistons compatible or just specific models?

Trying to finish the rebuild in the next two weeks or so & I have a line on reasonably priced evo pistons so any help is definitely appreciated.

Bimmubishi

Later Evo pistons are all compatible with 1G parts. Some will say to flip the pistons backwards but you don't want to do this because the wrist pin is slightly offset. Run them as normal, in the correct direction and replace the oil squirters in the block with Evo 6 squirters as they spray in a different spot. You could try to redirect the 1g squirters though. I don't know if that'll work. There's less open space to squirt oil on the newer pistons.

Last thing is the the new evo 9 pistons are the best yet. They are stronger than the e8.

You could probably run the later rods too and buy a set from the evo board but I'm not positive about the rods, just the pistons.

Alex

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
Are the later Evo rods really stronger than the 6 bolt rods? I wish all these Evo pistons were known to be options when I built mine. I'd have probably tried them instead of my 2G's.

John

Mark

I had them in my 1g 7bolt motor. Not sure which rods or what it entailed but I know they worked =)

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
No issues with the valve cutouts running them in the same orientation Alex?

Bimmubishi

Nope.

It seems weird but there aren't any unless (maybe) you're using some insane lift cams, in which case a forged piston is probably a more commensurate application.

Last edited:

CO VR4

Evo rods are commonly used in motors up to 500HP. They are much stronger than the 7 bolt rods. Pistons are excellent options as well, and will take about the same HP without piston slap or larger clearances like a forged piston requires. These are a good choice for a build that needs to handle higher than stock HP, but still wants some quiet in the motor and not so much $ in cost.

I've got a couple sets of take out Evo VIII pistons, rods and ringsa available that came out of a brand new factory shortblock never turned over or started. The shortblocks were bought for use in stroker builds, and the pistons/rods/rings removed immediately on delivery.

$300 for each set. PM if interested.

belize1334

Just some clarification, do the evo rods fit the 6bolt crank? Do the evo pistons fit the 1g rods? What CR are we talking about here? Why do people initially recommend rotating the Pistons?

IncorpoRatedX

Give you $100 for a set of evo pistons, cant use the rods and dont want the rings.

belize1334

Ok, well I answered one of my own questions. Evos vii-ix use 8.8:1 compression ratio. Slightly higher than 2g.

I'm still extremely interested to know what must be done in terms of machining to fit evo pistons on 1g rods or evo pistons/rods on a 6bolt crank. I'm having trouble finding info but i THINK that evos use the same 22mm or 0.866" wrist pin as the 2g. Is this correct? What about mating evo rods to a 6bolt crank?

Last edited:

Rausch

i'm pretty sure you have to machine them just like a 2g piston/rod combo. and there was mention of turning them when installing, but i'm not clear on that. as far as the rods to the crank, i dunno. i think Curtis was doing something like that, and he mentioned adding material, as the rods were thinner at the big end. IIRC

rez

I'm not sure if the evo wrist pins are exactly the same size as the 2g's, but I took my evo pistons and wrist pins along w/my 1g rods to a machine shop and they bored out the rods to fit the wrist pins without a problem.

belize1334

Ok, so if I can summarize then. The working method seems to be.

Evo pistons on 1g rods. (Similar machine work to 2g/1g combos)
Requires some work w/ oil squirters but pistons need not be rotated.
CR is 8.8:1 (slightly more than 2g)
Pitons are Forged and more durable that 2g or 1g (especially evo ix).

Anything else? Anyone know where to source the Evo Oil Squirters other than satan himself? I feel like that could be the deal breaker.

Last edited:

Brianawd

With the cost of having rods machined to fit evo pistons or 2g, you can have a nice set of forged pistons. I know you still have to do rods but it just put you that much closer to having a good forged motor. I will say that a 95piston/90rod motor can take some sh*t. Its a good combo for a 400awhp DD

Kenny_Kline

Bringing this back to life!!!

I have a set of EVO8 pistons/rods.

I know the EVO8 pistons work with modifications to the 1G rods but doesn't it make more sense to use EVO8 rods if they work? I assume this would of been done by now and there would be more information about it if it was possible.

Anyone know the issue with turning the pistons and why?

rez

The evo rods won't work on a 6-bolt because they're not wide enough at the crank end. That's why I had my rods machined to fit the wrist pins, I had a full evo piston/rod set and had to ditch the rods in favor of the 1g rods.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned