The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch adjustment??

How do we adjust the clutch on our cars? Or can we? Stupid question I figure, so any help or advise given is appreciated.

Brunoboy

go under the dash, above the gas pedal, youll see the adjustment rod, break the nut loose, and spin the rod toward or away from the master. Then lock the nut back in place.
-shane

Armitage

VFAQ is your friend: click

Lots of other good clutch adjustment info: click

You really should watch this short video before adjusting your clutch as well:

click

Guys......thanks a million. Thats just the info needed.

Could the clutch not being adjusted after my motor swap and new clutch installed be why the cars hard to get in gear( clunking sometimes and grinding), and hates 1st and reverse? No upgrades are done to the shifter, like 1g swaps, short throws ect....only some brass under hood bushings. Clutch cables seem to be straight lined? Again, thanks for all your help.

Mark LaVallee

Check the clutch pedal shaft for wear where it bolts into the clutch master actuating arm. (Called the "Fluid Lever" in factoryspeak) 581's is junk. Check there.

What are signs of wear with it......so I know what I'm looking for. A 19yr old part probably looks all the same to a lamen. I'm new to these fine machines.

Brunoboy

Quoting Dbossman:
Guys......thanks a million. Thats just the info needed.

Could the clutch not being adjusted after my motor swap and new clutch installed be why the cars hard to get in gear( clunking sometimes and grinding), and hates 1st and reverse? No upgrades are done to the shifter, like 1g swaps, short throws ect....only some brass under hood bushings. Clutch cables seem to be straight lined? Again, thanks for all your help.

thats what happened to me, I replaced the slave and master then adjusted it, its all butter now. before it wasnt even moving into any gear.
-shane

Are the slave and master cylinder's common over the counter parts, or something I'm going to have to go to the dealership or net for?

Brunoboy

i got them at autozone, 27 for the slave and 48? for the master, both are with tax already.
-shane

Nice.....cheap to fix.......and available.
Thanks again for all the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned