The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch dissengagement issue??

4doorboost

so i just rebuilt my entire motor. i put a new clutch in because my stocker was just not cutting it. everything else is the same and ran fine before the build. now the clutch wont dissengage and i cant get the car into gear. ive tryed bleeding it multiple times and checked the rod for clutch adjustment. im starting to think its the master. any way i can test the master before i spend the $ on a new one. my clutch is also afertmarket so the pressure plate is a lot stiffer. thanks any help appreciated
bryce ocain

rgeier11

Did you surface the flywheel to spec? Get under the car while someone presses the clutch to see how much movement you get from the clutch fork.

mikus

Did you replace the clutch fork? The O.G. OEM may bend/break (esp on a stiffer clutch), Mitsu replaced it with a beefier updated fork

G

Staff member

MitchooO

their has been a a few posts about this in the past week... first things to look for or search here to help are:
-clutch pedal worn/ not welded
-bad slave cylinder/ master cylinder
-bent clutch fork
-misadjusted master cylinder
-wrong specs on flywheel
-spacing clutch fork pivot ball
-adding an extended clutch rod
-bad clutch line, upgrade to braided
-re-bleed maybe?

- this list goes on because ive been threw everything here so far and mine is still choppy... but good things to look for

4doorboost

so i purchhased a new master. clutch pressure feels good the fork is moving all the was to the boot and still wont go into gear. when people say check the pedal assembly where do i check because before i put the new clutch in a didnt have a problem with clutch dissengagement?? stumped

MitchooO

What kind of flywheel/clutch did you install? I would start their if you didnt have a problem before, unless the old clutch was almost toast and disenganged like butter

Vman911

how tight did you get the clutch bolts?
Should be 15-18 ft lbs, diagnional sequence on tghtening.
Also did you adjust your clutch? down by gas pedal.
You may need a extended slave rod depending on what kind of clutch you put in.

Last edited:

4doorboost

i did let out the rod on the master. the clutch fork is moving and my pressure is good. just pulled the tranny and clutch pressure plate fork and throwout bearing look fine.

rgeier11

Make sure the bolts that hold the trans to the block are tight. I had a problem a year or so ago where they backed out and I couldn't change any gears.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned