The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g crankwalk

Fish

So my cousin has a 2g eclipse that has been making a really loud ticking noise, sounds like lifter tick but a lot louder. I checked for crankwalk using the directions on vfaq and got readings anywhere from 0.007-0.012'' and there was a definate clunk when we pressed the clutch pedal.

My question is can these cranks usually be machined or is it basically scrap? Thanks in advance for the advise.

transparentdsm

get a 6 bolt long block and start from scratch. it will cost about 2500 for the motor rebuild, but it is a way better solution. if it has walked the crank is scrap. in my opinion. some people may say different.

desant78

Not to thread jack, but is this how you checked it?

click - then used the AWD crankwalk check using the brake caliper and a pair of digital calipers? (sorry couldn't find a link to the exact part of the site)

I wanna check my car for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Fish

Yeah I pushed the balancer towards the transmission with a prybar, and then placed my calipers between the balancer and part of the sub frame instead of the brakes. I didn't want to risk a false reading by my 'help' touching the brake. I had him press the clutch pedal and watched the callipers move.

Honestly I didn't even need the calipers, as soon as he pressed the clutch I could feel and hear the crankshaft clunking around. I then got up from under the car and told my cousin that his sh#t was busted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fish

This is probably a stupid question but would a 6 bolt block swap into this car without converting/modifying anything?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned