The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clogged Catalytic Converter?

rgeier11

I have suspected the catalytic converter on my 209k mile Galant has finally taken a dump. I'd like to get some insight before I sawzall it off and replace it with a straight pipe. The factory exhaust is completely rusted at the flanges, hence the sawzall.

THE SYMPTOMS:
When I first start up and drive the car it runs great with minimal hesitation during spool up. After driving the car for 15mins or so it will stumble/stay flat/no power. Sometimes while hesitating the car will blast off and accelerate hard.

If I stop the car and let it cool for a little bit and hop back in, it will run great.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would think it would stay clogged all the time, no?

BTW, to remove it, I would just cut the nuts off. The one end is held with bolts, so you can knock those out if you cut the nuts off. theother end has studs in the cat side, so if you cut off the nuts you can get it out as well, leaving holes in the pipes at both ends to reattach a test pipe with bolts.

Yao

I have melted cat before, and it is power loss all the time.

Quoting iceman69510:
I would think it would stay clogged all the time, no?

SOmetimes it can be a molten chunk in there that can clog and unclog depending on how it rolls around in there. On my Montero I had a piece the size of a tennis ball that looked like igneous rock that rolled around.

Diego

May be way off hand here, but...... check your ecu and have a look around in there.

If the cat failed it would be like said above, it would stay suck at all times, you resting the car doesn't let heat off the cat and let it expand outward then cave again.

Hell, you should out the stock and get a decent 2.5"~3.0" turbo back if you plan on going straight pipe.

I like no cat straight turbo back. Imho my car sounds very serious when at idle and isn't too loud, it is a 2.5"dp to 3" Certified 0erformance Muffler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned