The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hesitations while driving.

Perkul8r

Ok. So after I got my Galant and got it going again to use as my daily driver, I have found one issue.

Sometimes when accelerating the car will feel like its missing or hesitating. If you continue to try and keep accelling and trying to get into boost the motor just cuts out. Almost like its hitting a fuel cut. When this happens if you are just easing into the throttle it just seems to hesitate or miss.

Now this doe snot happen all the time. It does happen quite often. Sometimes multiple times during the day. And other times it works great. You can run the car up into boost (6psi is all I am running till I get this sorted out) and have no problems. The Check engine light does come on. But I haven't been able to get that figured out. I tried checking it without a logger or scanner, but couldn't figure out the code. I do ahve a logger coming. I just bought it last week.

I was jsut trying to see if anyone would have any ideas on this. I am trying to get it fixed so I can finally have some fun and possibly AutoX this year. So I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Oh car Info:
120,000 miles on motor, Emissions removed, EGR removed, Hallman MBC, Evo 3 exhaust mani, 16G, plugs and wires just replaced, everything else stock. Car has been doing this since I bought it, but had to replace trans first. Car was completely stock when I bought.

jmorri15

check your throttle postion sensor(on the front of the throttle body), i had some oil that got on the connector so the ecu didnt know i was trying to open the throttle, cleaned it off and the problem went away.

OMFGeofffff

Could be your MAF also. Check the connector and/or borrow someones to see if it keeps happening.

Perkul8r

Got the logger all setup and working. And checked the DTC's right away. 2 came up. MAF sensor and TPS. I erased them cause I did forget to plug my maf back in yesterday when doing some work and I wanted to see what came back up. Well. The tps one keeps coming back up. So I am gonna check it out, probably just replace it. The car is 20 years old with stock equipment on it.

stealthtt24

I have the same problem, my hesitation is f***ing terrible. Does it 80% of the time and at idle as well. It sounds like a Subaru motor! Usually goes away after 3k. I plan on replacing the fuel filter and sending off the aftermarket injectors for cleaning. I'm not getting a check engine light though. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

jmorri15

fuel filter would be worse the more fuel it had to pass. so low rpm would run better then high

donkeylips

Quoting stealthtt24:
I have the same problem, my hesitation is f***ing terrible. Does it 80% of the time and at idle as well. It sounds like a Subaru motor! Usually goes away after 3k. I plan on replacing the fuel filter and sending off the aftermarket injectors for cleaning. I'm not getting a check engine light though. Any other thoughts?

Do you have a logger? Log your MAF, TPS, etc and you should find the problem. Also make sure your base timing is set right.

stealthtt24

I figured it out. The second previous owner jerry rigged the bov return hose. We capped off the hole at the intake and it runs much better. We plan on cutting and welding the line this weekend but I know the car has boost leaks as well.

donkeylips

No one said anything about boost leaks! Oops!

jmorri15

if it was a boost leak i was thinking it would not be intermittent it would be a problem all the time so logic dictated it should be another problem. but we see how logic works on these cars. lol

Perkul8r

Well. Now I got my data logger I have figured a couple things out. First of, yes the tps is shot. I was watching it while drving back home cruising at 65 mph and it was at 0.0% on the logger for most the time. I have also found out that my alt is dying, my oil pressure is around 10 psi at idle-not sure what its supposed to be at and my coolant temp sensor never goes over 189. So I have some thing I gotta figure out now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts