The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Catalytic Converter Question

1941Galant

I am currently running a 3" exhaust w/ no muffler and no cat. The car still has an 05 inspection sticker, so I need to throw both a muffler and cat on it before I take it in, not to mention I want to quiet the car down some. Now here is what I was thinking. I have enough room to install my 3" magnaflow and a highflow cat at the end of the exhaust between where the exhaust currently ends, and where the muffler would sit, and I would use a v-band clamp to attach the muffler/cat to the rest of the exhaust so I can easily pop it off and throw a downturn on for when I go to the track.

My question is, will my exhaust get hot enough towards the back to allow the cat to function properly? From the little bit of research that I have done (http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm), the cat needs to be between 400 and 600 degrees to start functioning properly. Is there anything else I should be concerned about with doing this?

1941Galant

I forgot to say that I would rather not pull the exhaust off and install a cat in the middle. I don't want to deal with crawling under it to switch to a test pipe everytime I go to the track.

ktmrider

You already covered the question, the cat efficiency will degrade the further you place it from the exhaust manifold.
Also not knowing your local/state regulations, specifically if there is a visual on OBD-I cars, you could fail by not having it in a stock-type location.

atc250r

Staff member
Do they do a sniffer where you are or just a visual?

John

CP

^^^Then why would you care about cat efficiency? If they don't sniff your exhaust, you could put a gutted cat on there and pass.

1941Galant

The reasons I wanted to put an actual cat on are that I already have one sitting in my basement, and it would help quiet the car down. I don't really care about efficiency, but if I did put a cat on the car I would want it to actually work, or else I would go a different route. Now I am considering just saying screw it and pulling the exhaust to install a fake cat and maybe a resonator.

atc250r

Staff member
Look around online, you can buy cat shields somewhere. I bought a set years ago on DSMTrader. You just put them over the pipe, weld them together, then weld them to the pipe and it looks like you have a cat. You could also try installing a resonator where the cat should be and telling the mechanic that its a high flow cat.

John

1941Galant

That is a good idea John, I tried doing a quick search for just the shields but couldn't come up with much, I'll hit it again tomorrow after class. However, I did find a fake cat for $40 through siliconeintakes.com, so that is always an option.

Struc

I have a prototype (I believe Magnaflow) resonator that looks just like a cat on my Spyder. They never did make it (my guess because of legal issues), but I can't imagine it would be too hard to duplicate.

G

Staff member

atc250r

Staff member
A modern cat isn't a big restriction. Problems start when the engine starts running too rich or too lean and fouls the cat, then you're stuck buying a new one. I'd spend the $40 for a fake one, by the time you find the shields and have them welded on you'll save money by going with a fake. I still think most mechanics will let a car with a resonator where the cat should be slip through.

John

1941Galant

Thats a good point. The car is running pretty rich right now since I only have a keydiver chip, which aside from running rich, the car runs great. A buddy of mine will help me out with getting the exhaust taken care of, so I think I am just going to go with a fake cat, then put the muffler at the end. If it is still too loud I will look at adding a resonator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts