The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

CEL - Coolant Temp Sensor

donkeylips

My ECU is throwing a code 21.

1. I checked continuity between the two wires at the sensor, and the coolant temp sensor pin (YG wire) and sensors ground pin (GB wire) at the ecu connector. Both had continuity.

2. I checked the resistance of the sensor - it seemed to be in the ballpark, between 1500 and 2500 ohms. Then I swapped in a spare used sensor that had similar resistance, and it still threw the code.

3. So finally I tried a different ECU, and that one throws the same code.

The car is running very rich and I can't get the CEL to go off. I am stumped here. It seems that I have checked everything relevant, unless both of my sensors were bad, which I doubt. Most everything is stock, besides a Walbro 255 pump (not rewired) with a factory fuel pressure regulator (no fuel pressure solenoid). Ideas?

turbowop

You checked continuity but did you check resistance of the wires? It may be that one of the wires is hanging on by a single strand near the sensor where they get super brittle.

Specter

^ Yes that can be the case. Although i did not have any ecu code but while cleaning up my wiring mess i rewired the coolant sensor wires entirely because they were very brittle.

donkeylips

I checked continuity with my ohmmeter. Resistance was low, but I'll double check. I have already re-wired it in the past. Maybe it didn't hold up too well.

donkeylips

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned