The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AEM issue with Coolant temp sensor

Bimmubishi

I'm struggling here with a 1g. It's got AEM EMS. We have a new coolant temp sensor in the T stat housing, have checked both wires for continuity to the ECU and the temp on the laptop states 217 degrees at room temperature.

Disconnecting the 2 pin spade connector from the sensor yields a 2 degree fast fluctuation between 217-219

Jumping the pins on the terminal of the harness makes the temp jump to 176f and hold constantly.

Am I looking at a faulty ECU?

I've never had luck with AEM.

Suggestions please... (the sensor type is set to Mitsubishi)

Thanks,

Alex

Bimmubishi

I did. It has the same resistance as the used one I took out. (don't remember offhand what it was) But.. if you look at my troubleshooting method above it's not the sensor.. it stays at 217 with no sensor plugged in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CSMShaun

I am not familiar at all with AEM. I know the factory ECU looks at Ohms of resistance to determine temperature. If the wires are new, you tested the sensor with a multimeter and a temperature source and the settings inside the ECU are correct then I am at a loss as far as what you should do next. LOL Sorry to take up your time.

It sounds like you need to setup your sensor on the ems.

From AEM Pro:
Setup -> Sensors -> Coolant Temp Sensor -> Coolant Temp Wizard

Just select Mitsubishi all in there. If that does not fix it then, you will need to get a volt meter and test the output voltage. At fully warmed up it should be like 0.62v-0.78v.

Also if you look under

Setup -> Sensors -> Coolant Temp Sensor -> Options - CLT Sensor

I would bet that your Coolant Failsafe is set at 217.

Bimmubishi

Thanks theboz-

We checked those things. I think that the failsafe is really high for the time being... at like 274 or something. The sensor type is for Mitsubishi.

Check the voltage going to the sensor and the voltage going out of it. Also how old is the sensor, did the sensor work before?

Are you pluged into the correct sensor, check the wireing, the wires to the temp sensors break a lot.

Armitage

You're not using the factory engine harness are you? According to the wiring diagram, the coolant temp sensor wire splits off and goes to visit the TPS and EGR. If there's a short in the harness somewhere (like I suspect mine has), you may get some unpredictable readings. I get sporadic CELs and idle hunting even though I've got continuity at the sensor end.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts