The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cam gear positions( now help check timing)

James

Took my timing cover off today and seen this, don't know why I havent taken a closer look at it before.

Shouldn't I be able to count the same amount of ridges/mountains from the middle to either mark? I'm getting 9 to the left 7 to the right.

816FAA56-5AD0-4933-9E5E-AE577D818764-2702-00000198316DFE1C.jpg

08325ABD-8A28-40C7-8F5C-F26EF1B2FE42-2702-000001982C0CFF9B.jpg

Last edited:

JNR

Do you have stock cams? Maybe somebody advanced the exhaust cam timing, if I understand your question correctly...

James

I just thought the cams should be lined up evenly. Which they are not. If the picture looks normal to you then so be it. Much wiser eyes than mine will be looking at the pic.

JNR

I can't comment on whether the pic looks normal, as I don't know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but do know it's possible to advance or retard one or the other cams...Also, the exhaust cam would be phased differently than the intake cam on a given cylinder (if we're talking about the cam lobes), due to one of the sides would need to be closed (ie intake) while the opposite one (ie exh) would be open, or somewhere in between...I imagine the cams take this into account, being one is for exhasut and the other intake (and don't think they are interchangeable), but whether that means the wheels are phased differently also, I'm not sure. I'll look at mine later today, but I also have adjustable, so not sure if that'll make a difference (how mine is setup).

James

The timing CAS was apparently pretty far off... I adjusted it and now it sits like this..

C441DAD6-E473-4288-9BC4-85975C18D0AF-2702-000001B3E21BCDA6.jpg

That's my best guess to being correct... Opinions?

I still have a miss, the timing light would miss a blink every 4-5 seconds... New coil,plug,wires, and transistor.

JNR

Don't know if this helps you any, but here's how mine are setup:

The timing marks line up on mine, it seems. However, being my gears are adjustable that probably doesn't help you.

Last edited:

desant78

To line up the timing marks, make sure.both dowel pins in gears are point up. Get them close to there and check the timing marks. Your first pic i cant tell cuz both are facing downward.

fuel

^^ THIS

James, the engine is clearly not at TDC. There are notches at both 180 degrees and 360 degrees on the cam gears because the same gear is used on both the inlet and exhaust cams. That would probably explain why your exhaust cam says 'I' on it and inlet says 'X' on it, someone has swapped them over at some point. You need to turn the engine so both dowels are pointing UP to 12 o'clock position, and ONLY then are you going to be able to align the two notches at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. At the moment you're comparing both the 3 o'clock or both the 9 o'clock notches, not one of each.

I hope that makes sense.

transparentdsm

AND THIS^^^

i like the detail in that fuel. and if the gears are backwards you need to change them around and redo the timing, so everythings on there right.

mitsuturbo

The gears are identical. Except this guys gears have been marked intake and exhaust. It's not likely someone notched an exhaust cam and put it on the intake side, so only the gears have been swapped. THEY ARE IDENTICAL so which cam they're on is of no consequence. They most certainly are not put on the cams "backward" either, because they really only fit properly one way, and you'd be able to tell immediately if they were flipped around with the cam side facing outward.

PLEASE DONT GO REMOVING YOUR CAM GEARS, THEY'RE FINE THE WAY THEY ARE.

Last edited:

James

I didn't think the gears themselves were any different... I mean really they can't be.

My guess is the previous owner is a idiot and just marked then wrong.

Saturday is my next day off, I'll get her setup to TDC and make sure all my marks line up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned