The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Swapped in HKS cams, now no compression / Cooling issue [BOTH RESOLVED]

G

Staff member
That def could be the problem. You could install a 160d thermo and swap out your coolant to the toyota red but that's just trying to band aid the root problem.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting prove_it:
Brett, do you have A/C? Is the radiator stock? If yes and yes, it could be that the fins are plugged with dirt and debris, which hinders airflow across the cores.

The radiator is brand new, and the condenser is clear of debris. What's hindering airflow is a 20"x 13" x 3.5" intercooler, oil cooler, and A/C condenser...all of which are sitting in front of a new OEM style radiator. Add the fact that my bumper isn't trimmed and the grill is mostly fog lights, and it's not surprising I'm not getting the airflow I need. At least, that's my thought process on the situation.

Quoting G:
I still think something else is wrong. The stock fans should be able to get your temps down.

I'm curious to know what you think that could be. The stock fan (I only am running one) does get the temp down, just not unless the hood is open. I could put a 10 degree t-stat in the car and it wouldn't fix my problem. The thermostat and coolant doesn't really matter when you aren't removing heat from the cooling system through the radiator. Clearly, the system works just fine without the hood off the car, so I'm not sure what makes you think there's some other underlying issue. I'm open to your suggestions, though.

Last edited:

JNR

Didn't read every post, so maybe this was suggested...are you sure there is no air in the cooling system? If you haven't already done so, bleed the system to eliminate the possibility.

G

Staff member
Are you still using the OE sensor? I've seen them go bad internally. The brass tip looks fine but internally the sensor is shot. I would start by replacing the sensor with a brand new one.

GSTwithPSI

Yes, still using the OE sensor. What's you thought process on that? It's giving false readings?

I got a decent heat shield fabbed up. It was a pain in the ass, and I wouldn't recommend doing it. I also had to re-fabricate the J-pipe, which now sits much farther from the manifold. Now I know why Extreme PSI wants a million dollars for the FP mani heat shield they sell. Anyways...

The setup consists of 2 pieces. The heat shield, and a fastener bar. The whole assembly attaches to two points on the car, the first being 2 of the exhaust mani studs, and the other being a bolt in the turbine housing.
WP_001582.jpg

WP_001581.jpg

WP_001578.jpg

WP_001580.jpg

WP_001579.jpg

Fastener bar attached:
WP_001583.jpg

WP_001586.jpg

Heat shield mocked up:
WP_001573.jpg

WP_001577.jpg

WP_001574.jpg

WP_001575.jpg

Finished product:
WP_001592.jpg

WP_001589.jpg

WP_001590.jpg

WP_001591.jpg

I made sure the leave room for a manifold blanket, which I plan to buy and install with the heat shield. I haven't driven the car yet, but hope this will help eliminate some of my heat soak problems. I'm not sure how well the heat shield will do in its own. It's made of steel (20 gauge if I remember right). It's fairly thick, but it will probably get pretty heat soaked itself without the manifold blanket. I think I really need to pair them both together to get the best results. $120 for a manifold blanket seems pretty steep, though. I wish they were a little more reasonably priced.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
That looks pretty good and should probably help a lot. You could probably go a little higher with the pipe so it's almost the same height as the radiator. To further increase the distance from the ex mani. A 23+ year old sensor may be the problem. They definitely go bad. I would replace both. The ecu and the radiator one. Then see what happens. That way you will have eliminated that possibility and know that both sensors are new and you are getting accurate temp readings as well as your fan turning on at the correct time. I posted a link somewhere for a nib made in italy unit for like $10.00 on ebay for one of them.

GSTwithPSI

Well...good and bad news. The good news is that I'm 99% sure I figured out the problem.

The bad news is, this is the problem:
WP_001597.jpg

It's 90 degrees out today, and 70% humidity. The "feels like" temp is like 95 degrees. Suffice it to say, it's f***ing hot. The hottest it's been since I started screwing with my cooling issue. I started out by going for a drive today. Derped around in the car until it got warm, and did a couple little cruises on the highway (Euro grille still installed at this point). The car ran consistently at 206 on the highway. It would fluctuate at lower speed cruise (35-50mph) between 203 and 210. Hot.

I came home and swapped in my Eterna grille. Took it back out and ran it under the exact same speeds and conditions as before, and saw over a 10 degree temp drop. The car ran at 196 on the highway at 65-70mph. At lower speed cruise (again, 35-50mph) I saw 196 consistently. The temp even dropped to 193 a few times. The only change I made was swapping out the grille.

This seems to further confirm my assumption that I'm just not getting enough airflow overall. My heat soak issues seem to have subsided a bit, but overall the heat shield doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot to help. I guess I probably need to drive the car more to really tell, but I don't think I'll see any vast improvements until I get that blanket installed.

I'm pretty bummed I may not be able to run the Euro grille. I really like how it looks. I just think that the intercooler, oil cooler, A/C condenser, and grille all combined are just too much of an airflow restriction for the radiator to do its job properly. I need to do a little more testing to really see where I stand, but as of now, I believe I've identified my issue.

Again, thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and helped me out in this thread. Every little bit helps.

Last edited:

coyotes

If you want to run that grill, make up some panels for all your heat exchangers to force the air through and so none gets around the radiator. On my turbo 940, if you ran the car without the bottom tray a lot of air would just slip past the radiator and increase your water temps.

Some people ran testing on these ducting methods on s13 chassis with good results, i'll have to dig up the thread.

G

Staff member
Which superstant are you running? They make two. # 45869 is 195d and #45868 is 180d. You may have to hack up that grill. Maybe drill some holes in it or make some cut outs.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
I've always wondered if that grill would hinder cooling due to the lights taking up so much grill space.

Honestly, if you have a close-to-stock car, the Euro grille would probably be just fine. I think the combination of sh*t I have in front of the radiator is just adding up to be more than the cooling system can handle.

Quoting coyotes:
If you want to run that grill, make up some panels for all your heat exchangers to force the air through and so none gets around the radiator. On my turbo 940, if you ran the car without the bottom tray a lot of air would just slip past the radiator and increase your water temps.

Some people ran testing on these ducting methods on s13 chassis with good results, i'll have to dig up the thread.

I'm considering a few things like you're suggesting to maybe make the Euro grille work with my setup. IDK, though. I threw the Eterna grille back on and it reminded me how clean and simple it makes the Galant look overall. I'm going to screw around some more with the car, and see what I can come up with. I'm not giving up yet, but in the short term, the Eterna grille will be here to stay. I can't be driving the car and running it hot because I like how the grille looks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSTwithPSI

Quoting G:
Which superstant are you running? They make two. # 45869 is 195d and #45868 is 180d. You may have to hack up that grill. Maybe drill some holes in it or make some cut outs.

I have the 45868 in the car currently.

G, you're fuckin high if you think I'm hacking up that grille. If you knew what I had tied up in that thing, you'd sh*t a brick. If it turns out I can't use it, I'll pass it onto someone who can.

JNR

Ah, no wonder...there's not much air getting through the front grill.

As suggested, the top shroud/baffle piece will help this, as would putting a small air dam down at the bottom, right about inline with the radiator...This is what IROC's and T/A's used on the 3rd gens, being they had no conventional grill.

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
If it turns out I can't use it, I'll pass it onto someone who can.

If you wind up selling it, lemme know. I might be interested.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Run that grille in the cool months. Bonus: It's darker more and you can turn on those awesome lights more often.

G

Staff member
Quoting coyotes:
Maybe consider something like this being made up for your car.
beatrush_S143056RP.jpg

Mitsu already makes this for our cars.

G

Staff member
Yeah we bought the last ones.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned