The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bad pcv valve caused my blow by?

Kibby

I posted awhile ago I thought I had blow by from the rings being bad. But I took it out and drove it. Got into it and had no issues whatsoever. Not popped dipstick no power loss. A friend suggested I replace/check the pcv valve.

IncorpoRatedX

I had an old PCV valve that would get stuck when it was cold out. At idle the car would smoke, once I got into throttle there was no smoke at all, once it warmed up the car wouldnt smoke at idle. I changed the PCV valve and checked compression, PCV should make a rattle sound when you shake it, this one didnt make any sounds.

prove_it

And only use OEM! Aftermarket valves fail fast and hard.

belize1334

A bad PCV valve will allow positive manifold pressure to cause positive crank case pressure, which in turn can pop dipsticks, etc. It doesn't "cause blowby", which is necessarily exhaust escaping past the rings - but it can cause the same symptoms.

Kibby

Well that was really all it did was pop the dipstick. It doesnt have much power being stock minus the 2g kaf 16g and broken downpipe which does a 12-20psi spike in the upper rpms.I ran a compression test got 135 150 150 135 I think thats what it was. I know I should run a leakdown to which would confirm if I have blowby. Jus been so busy lately with my s10 blowing the rear brake line the both front springs snapping on my crx. Gettin there. Pending weather ill che k the pcv valve tomorrow.

mrt0mjones

Did you attempt to do a wet compression test? (oil in the cylinder) to attempt to see a change in the result?

Kibby

No and im not going to. Results can vary with that depending on where the oil goes/coats. Im gonna run a leakdown test

Kibby

This pcv valve is beyond done. Blows air in both sides with barely any restriction. Sooo ill order a new one and go from there. Thanks for the help guys.

belize1334

Fyi, 130-150-150-130 is low enough on 1 and 4 to get some blowby regardless of the condition of the PCV. Put a spring on the dipstick (small hose clamp, spring, hanger) just in case. You don't want to be sputtering oil on your exhaust manifold. That's how fires happen.

donkeylips

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned putting a plastic check valve in line with the PCV valve to make sure you only have flow going the proper direction.

Kibby

Quoting belize1334:
Fyi, 130-150-150-130 is low enough on 1 and 4 to get some blowby regardless of the condition of the PCV. Put a spring on the dipstick (small hose clamp, spring, hangupper) just in case. You don't want to be sputtering oil on your exhaust manifold. That's how fires happen.

Since ive got the money to get another engine/rebuild. I drove it like I stole it. 11-20psi spikes and full throttle pulls. No dipstick pop, no funny business with the car. im really suprised a pcv valve could cause blow symtoms as far as the dipstick and such.

So next Wednesday pending weather im going to the track and see what she runs. Im hoping for low 14's or to touch a 13.

coyotes

is that your compression? I don't remember my exact numbers but one of my cylinders is like 15-20psi lower than the rest. I am running on wastegate pressure though so less boost than from the factory. My dip stick pops up sometimes but only a centimeter or so and doesn't spew oil. I don't know the condition of the PCV valve, it's likely original.

Kibby

Im running on wg pressure. But due to my flex pipe leaking it spikes up to about 20psi. Runs 11 til like 5k then rises with the rpms. I need larger injectors. Dsmlink says 88% this is on 550's which I thought would have gone a bit further. Im justgonna get 1000's or bigger then install the fmic and situate a downpipe and custom catback. Ive got a hks hipower catback off my 1g so ill see if I can mod it to work. And yes those are my compression numbers

Last edited:

coyotes

Good to know. I was thinking about raising the boost a little bit eventually but I am ok with my power levels right now (I have turboback and FMIC). I have a second engine being built so I'm not too worried about blowing this one up. I would rather not, though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned