The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve cover vent + PCV question

RayH

If people are worried about unmetered air, you can put a T off the catchcan. Run one branch to the small filter and another branch to the stock intake location. Then put check valves in both branches so that under vacuum air comes from the stock intake and under pressure air goes out the filter.

Notice that the pcv valve and valve cover vent are close to opposite sides of the cover. This is so under vacuum you get a consistent flow of air through the top of the valve cover pulling any moisture from blow by out. Water is a by product of cumbustion and if not removed mixes with other things to form acids and sludge. Not that our engines are prone to sludging but it should keep your oil cleaner. People with catchcans should notice that it's not just oil that they're catching, if it was then there wouldn't be a problem with the contents freezing like some people have noticed.

CP

Are those inline filter "fuel filters?" I just came back from AutoZone and all I could find were different fuel filters. I didn't even check for the one-way valves.

What you went to autozone and couldn't find what you wanted......naaaaaawwwww. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Polish

Yes, clear fuel filters.

CP

Bite it.

Are you in the Wakefield store today? If so, I'll stop by in the next hour and you can show me what you've got there.

No Wakefield is a different owner, they own that one and Saugus. I'm in Woburn. But there are no Galant VR-4 owners allowed here at the same time as me, things might start randomly breaking in the store for no reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

I'll be there in 20 minutes...if I can find it.

Hey I guess this is the thread to ask this, we were talking about this at work the other day. Can you run a PCV valve inline??

Polish

Inline with what? The vent hose to the intake?

Is so then no, that needs to be open. The OEM PCV is closed under boost when crank case pressure is highest, so all air/blow by needs to escape through the vent tube. If you put a PCV inline it would stop anything from exiting which you can see why wouldn't be good. If you meant the other way so that it was only forced open under crankcase pressure and was normally pulled shut by the vacuum in the crankcase from the Intake manifold I would lean towards no. Simply because they are not meant to work that way and if it clogged or something internally malfunctioned it could block the crankcases ability to vent, which could lead to blowing out dipstiks, messy engine bays or maybe worse.

Last edited:

Quote:
When the PCV opens it will pull air out of the Valve cover. When you leave the vent tube open it can suck air through that and into the intake manifold, this will be unmetered air.

If you mean by where pcv used to hook up to then I have that plugged. so I don't see how in the hell so called unmetered air can getting into conbustion chamber. I could see getting into crankcase but not in the cylinder where unmetered air is not wanted.

pcv valve is off of valve cover which is has nothing to do with intake mani. someone care to explain to me? am I missing something?

Quote:

If you mean by where pcv used to hook up to then I have that plugged. so I don't see how in the hell so called unmetered air can getting into conbustion chamber. I could see getting into crankcase but not in the cylinder where unmetered air is not wanted.

pcv valve is off of valve cover which is has nothing to do with intake mani. someone care to explain to me? am I missing something?

OP (Paul) still has his PCV plumbed into the intake manifold. If you have your manifold plugged in that spot, there is no worry about unmetered air. Only sludge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stock routing is: Valve cover>PCV valve>intake manifold

ok.. that's what I thought. but he made sounds like unmetered air was reason he doesn't want to get a catch can. which made no sense.

Best way to go is will always be to run a one breather and one way check valve off the Filter line to the valve cover. Then remove the pcv valve and run a line to an electric Vacuum Pump . Or you can use a mechanical unit like this ford one.

The second best way would be to run a one way valve and breather on the filter line and leave the pcv in the valve cover and run a line to something like this.

In this system you weld a fitting into the exhaust and as the gasses pass by it pulls vapors from the crankcase.

V8 guys have been using both setups for years and they do work.

Polish

Quote:
Quote:
When the PCV opens it will pull air out of the Valve cover. When you leave the vent tube open it can suck air through that and into the intake manifold, this will be unmetered air.

Ok, so yours is plugged - good for you. I was talking about an OEM like setup.

PCV valve has a lot to do with the intake manifold considering it is hooked DIRECTLY to it, where else do you think the vacuum would come from?

Re-read my post again, it's really quite simple.

------------

As for the unmetered air, I will try again. If you leave the vent tube on the side of the valve cover open, whether with a filter clamped on it or have it running to a catch can or whatever unmetered air will get into the engine IF the PCV is still functional. This because under Vacuum the pcv is open and the engines vacuum PULLS air out of the crank case. Now if the breather port on the side is open to atmophere in one way or another air can be pulled into it, into the valve cover and right into the manifold. It couldn't be any simpler. Now is it a ton of air, no I highly doubt it. Was it a reason I said I didn't want a catch can? No, I already have a catch can installed.

Here are a few average DSM setups to help some of you understand since words are not enough sometimes.

This is a race setup, you will see most 1/4 only guys have this. I do not suggest it for street for a few reasons. I used to think it was the end all setup and nothing else was better but with some reading and having it on my car for over 1000 miles it's not that great for street use. Your engine bay will become and oily mess directly around the filter on the catch can, because of crank case pressure blowing out the filter at high rpm's. This air has tiny oil particles with it. Also your crank case will never get the condensation pulled out of it. So the oil will get watery in a sense. Also any smoke or blow by will just mix in with the oil as opposed to be possibly pulled out. Again, if you make huge power and need maximum crank case venting - sure this setup is ok. If you drive on the street alot and don't live at the track I don't see hy you need this setup. It has ZERO benefits other than clean IC pipes and max crank case venting. Clean IC pipes can be achived with sealed catch cans and filter. You only need tons of crank case venting if you make huge power or spend all your time at WOT like a Rally car for 20 minutes straight.

Stock setup, only flaw being dirty IC pipes. A filter will cure that if you keep it changed.

Your average street DSM setup. I do not like this setup. I've already mentioned why a few times.

Proper setup, in my opinion for a street DSM/4G63. After me personally beating the research horse to death and having the "race" setup on my car to which I don't like or need.

There are other options also these are just the most common setups you see in the DSM/GVR4 world.

Maybe/Hopefully this will clear it up for some of you.

CP

Back from the dead.

So this is my other little project for the week. I'm going to re-install my PCV valve and run the hose to my catchcan. I'm going to seal the other catchcan port (which currently has a hose attached to it from the valve cover breather) and route a hose from the top of the cc to my intake minifold.

For the valve cover breather, I'm going to install an inline fuel filter, and then figure out a way to attach that hose to my intake, pre-turbo. My intake pipe is currently un-tapped. Can I just run that hose underneath the car and forget about it?

I guess I'm still not understanding the issues here. I get the PCV vac/boost phenomenon, but not the valve cover breather and how it works. Can it just be vented to atmosphere?

Polish

Yes, it can. However when the PCV gets pulled open bay vacuum it will pull air through that breather line. So a small amount of unmetered air will enter the intake. Not nearly enough to make a large difference imho, still not "correct" though. Thats how I have been running mine because I have yet to tap my intake pipe. I just have a hose with a filter on the end coming off the breather line. Then a new oem pcv routed right to the intake manifold.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quote:
Back from the dead.

So this is my other little project for the week. I'm going to re-install my PCV valve and run the hose to my catchcan. I'm going to seal the other catchcan port (which currently has a hose attached to it from the valve cover breather) and route a hose from the top of the cc to my intake minifold.

Why are you going to run a PCV with it routed to a catch can?

CP

So the crap coming through it is contained and not re-introduced to the intake manifold.

jepherz

Staff member
So you're going to run a PCV valve, and then run a line from that into the catch can? And block off the port on the intake manifold? Everything else is stock?

If that's the case, there isn't going to be any vacuum anyways, and nothing is going to be sucked back into your PCV valve. IMO, if you're running it that way you might as well run no PCV valve and at least get the benefit of higher flow through to the catchcan.

Polish

No he is running a catch can between the line from the PCV to the Intake manifold. So less crap will make it's way into the intake manifold under vacuum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned