The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad PCV Valve?

Specter

Okay so i was adding inline filters in both the valve cover breather hose and the connection to the intake manifold. I noticed that when the car is idling, the vacuum is coming out of the breather and going in to the intake tube of the turbo. I think it is supposed to be sucking air from the inlet tube and going through the PCV valve into the intake manifold right? Is my PCV Valve bad?
Thanks!

that is correct from my experience. i put a chevy inline fuel filter on the side valve cover vent and watch it turn black over time. take off your PCV and shake it near your ear. if you hear a ball clicking in there, chances are its fine.

Specter

Okay i just checked it. I can easily blow air through the threaded part. And i cannot blow any air through the other end. And it also rattles a bit. Does this means that my PCV valve is fine? If it is then why is there vacuum coming out of the valve cover vent rather then going in it. What am i missing here?

yes i believe this is normal. here is some information taken from road race eng.

RoadRaceEngineering

Quote:
Crank Case Breather / Catch Can $54
The vent hose that runs from the valve cover to the turbo inlet hose puts a lot of oily blow by into the intake tract and intercooler and piping. When oil builds up inside the intercooler, it drastically reduces the intercooler efficiency. To prevent this, many people install a filter onto the end of the hose instead and put a plug on the fitting where it went into the inlet hose. Cheap fix ($10 for the filter) but it makes a mess now in the engine compartment instead of inside the intercooler pipes. This new smaller catch can will hold the oil that blows out, it also allows you to gauge how much oil is coming out. There is a drain valve at the bottom. There are two hose fittings, you have the option of disabling the PCV valve for more crank case pressure relief while making boost.

Specter

I checked the valve again, re-installed it and gave the galant a try. Its working fine now. I think the valve was stuck open that is why it was mal-functioning. Working great now.
Thanks for your help.

That is a good sign to replace it. It may be working now, but who knows for how long.

stevep

Keep in mind that you can't come anywhere close to typical boost pressure by blowing in it so you don't know if it will really seal at operating pressures.

Last edited:

IMO, why wait for it to happen again, just replace it. Especially if you already have a good one laying around? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Specter

Steve it was not even operating properly at idle let alone boost pressure. I guess you can blow enough air through it to match the air blown at idle.

stevep

If you can blow through it you know it's bad but you don't know anything if you can't blow through it because your not really able to test it properly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned