The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anybody going to be bored this weekend?

Well I bought #34 from sleepermirage. As I was taking a look at where I want to mount the h.i.d. ballasts I started noticing alot of wiring and other issues. So I was wondering if there are any members that are going to have any free time these next couple of days seeing how I have off til Monday. On top of the issues I am seeing I am also going to be installing a slue of new goodies. I was hoping to complete everything by Monday, but it is looking like I am going to have to address alot more than I thought I was. I'll buy the pizza and beer or jager(my fav)!!!!! Let me know if anybody is interested. The car is in a temperature controlled envirnment.

broxma

Just to be clear, you are putting HID bulbs and ballasts on a car without a Fresnel lens meant to limit the upper projection of the scattered light into the faces of on coming drivers?

If so, three things.

First off. It is illegal to install HID bulbs into non-HID specific housings.
Second, it's really annoying to everyone else.
Third, it allows an immediate stereotype that the person behind the wheel is ignorant to the above two facts and can result in the driver being thrown into a fan.

That's just my opinion though. Except for the first two which are straight up consensus and legal based fact.

/brox

dsmless

I'll be installing my new 3g lifters and hopefully my haltech stand alone

14u2nV

Quoting broxma:
Just to be clear, you are putting HID bulbs and ballasts on a car without a Fresnel lens meant to limit the upper projection of the scattered light into the faces of on coming drivers?

If so, three things.

First off. It is illegal to install HID bulbs into non-HID specific housings.
Second, it's really annoying to everyone else.
Third, it allows an immediate stereotype that the person behind the wheel is ignorant to the above two facts and can result in the driver being thrown into a fan.

That's just my opinion though. Except for the first two which are straight up consensus and legal based fact.

/brox

Did you really go there? Betcha you have 3 things on your car that annoy someone else, are illegal and cause an unfair stereotype. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*If I were closer I'd come help you out, but that's too far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif good luck with it.

687/2000,
My engine block will be "bored" this weekend! OMFG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

broxma

Quoting 14u2nV:

Did you really go there? Betcha you have 3 things on your car that annoy someone else, are illegal and cause an unfair stereotype. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*If I were closer I'd come help you out, but that's too far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif good luck with it.

Yes. Yes I did. Because any modifications to my cars are not projected into the eyes of oncoming drivers. The difference in your eyes may be insignificant, however at some point you have to draw the line between a riced out hooptie and a modification which is flagrantly annoying to the public at large. Cranking up your 12" subs at 2:00 a.m. may lead to getting your car peppered with a paintball gun, and if I thought I could unload a few pinks at the people with Ebay HID kits in their non-HID headlight housings and maintain a straight line, I would. I also don't street race, I drive slow through neighborhoods, slow down through school zones, and let people merge in front of me without flipping them the bird. Some rules actually have valid premises for their existence. Not blinding on coming drivers happens to be a good one in my opinion.

/brox

Brox,
Very well put ^^. The difference between a student/Little boy driver, and a grown ass man. There's a handfull in every city I think.

Quoting eargasm6969:
Well I bought #34 from sleepermirage. As I was taking a look at where I want to mount the h.i.d. ballasts I started noticing alot of wiring and other issues. So I was wondering if there are any members that are going to have any free time these next couple of days seeing how I have off til Monday. On top of the issues I am seeing I am also going to be installing a slue of new goodies. I was hoping to complete everything by Monday, but it is looking like I am going to have to address alot more than I thought I was. I'll buy the pizza and beer or jager(my fav)!!!!! Let me know if anybody is interested. The car is in a temperature controlled envirnment.

If you'll buy the plane ticket as well, i'll help you out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mpt72

Sylvania has a real nice set of bulbs that are brighter than most. I picked mine up from autozone and have used them in my tractor. They lasted me about a year, driving 6 to 8 hours a night. They are a bit pricey, around 50 dollars, if I'm not mistaken.

broxma

I think I have the same in mine. Silvania SilverStars or something. Picked them up on special from VatoZone for 39.95 I think. I don't think this post is immediately about HID headlights so sorry if it got off track. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

/brox

So I dove into the engine compartment. Holy wiring mess. I spent a whole day just rerouting and cleaning up the wiring for alternator relocation, injectors, coilpacks, etc, etc. This car has alot of parts but not very put together. I have had to basically redo everything under the hood. But I am glad I took it apart. Found a coupler with a tear coming out of the intercooler, boogered up threads and bolt going into the turbo from the manifold, no gasket between the head and exhuast manifold, vaccum/boost lines hooked up wrong for the hks evc, you name it. I also discovered I need to do new ball joints. To be honest I am surprised how well the car ran with the way it was put together. I will post picks when I get a chance. The only other things I need to address is the wiring going to the sensors for the thermostat housing and wiring up the aftermarket slim fan. Anybody have the wiring diagram for the sensors. Also there is no wiring going to the temp switch on the rad. I think I am going to do a custom downpipe with recirce for the external wastegate.

Ya I have the silver stars and I really like them. Im in the market to buy a hid kit. Im going to use a projector from an audi a4 lamp to make it all nice and legal. But ya a plan ticket would help lol

409/2000 242 whp 14.6 1/4 mile

good enough for a tractor, good enough for my faded jalopy- I'm sold. any special info or just plug and go?

Last edited by a moderator:

I will be lol I thought my car would be up and running this weekend but now I need an altonator before its road worthy damn cars lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

mpt72

Just plug and go. The reason why I went with those over the HIDs is my brother runs HIDs on his tractor and after about a year the inside of his headlight lenses were starting to yellow. Not the outside as one would expect, but the inside. Also, his lenses were brand new, and now they are looking like crap. Stupid plastic. Anyway, much cheaper to run the bulbs, I didn't feel like buying new lamps every year.

So does anybody have any wiring info for the sensors on the thermostat housing?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned