The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any way around the "over the top" turbo outlet?

CutlassJim

Tony make sure you swap over to a 1G DSM thermostat housing with that radiator.

I know I'm in a whole different camp since I'm using a downflow intercooler, but it did make for simple and clean routing. No J-pipe or any sharp bends required. Ignore the wiring mess, its since been cleaned up.

Wizardawd

Clean GVR4 Blue...and that's a nice 221 core. Same one on my 92 Talon. Same one used by Al Blaha to run 10.5s on a 1g maf. More potential than people give it credit for.

Wiz

Al Blaha, thats a name I havent heard in years. Talon registry reading how to hack a 1g maf. Wow.

I have had some vertical cores before and that may be the way to go if you HAVE to avoid going over the top.

blacksheep

^^^^ Yes, thats a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long long time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I actually bought a MAF off him with the little flapper door and spring dealie.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

vtecds1

All my friends use to run his mafs and they all manage to run good times(12.1-12.3) on basic mods and a big16g. That was back in 97/98.

I really do like the setup so far. Might just be in my head, but the short routing (also stepped as it goes) seems to give really crisp response with hardly any lag. Its Jason(Shiskibob's) old setup, though I redid the pre-IC piping to shortin it up a bit. I haven't really cranked up the boost to much yet, but figuring it'll be fine for its daily driver duty, especially since it normally doesn't get real hot around here.

Yes and no. Obviously 16g's don't have a lot of lag, but it feels crisper than the setup that came on it (even if its possibly mental). The standard seems to be 2.5" piping all the way with an enormous intercooler. This one is 2" pre-IC with probably 2 feet less of piping and only 2.25" post-IC through an IC which has probably 1/2-2/3 the volume of what seems to be the norm for the side flow setups. Add that with its higher flow area that has less pressure drop and it seems that its probably not all mental. Plus it doesn't have a j-pipe running right over the exhaust manifold, the IC should have less heat to remove in the first place.

OMFGeofffff

Quoting bustedsm:
Mine worked well..

104_2039.jpg

104_2040.jpg

Which j-pipe is that? Looking straight down on my j-pipe it leaves about 1cm of clearance for my radiator. So right now my radiator is ghetto rigged at a a slanted angle for it to fit. I need to know if I pick up a different j-pipe if it will fit with either my stock radiator or a civic half rad.

turbofoxlx

I just had my intercooler installed with Garfield at tuners nation and it came out great. I made mine very similar to 642's setup but I used 2.5" aluminum piping all around. So far I am extremely pleased by the performance of this kit and boost is almost instant now when compared to the stock ic setup. sorry for the horrible night cell pics I'll try to get better ones up soon.

img.php

broxma

Go externally gated and clock it.

2e2e7vd.jpg

2nkhxxh.jpg

This is how we just routed mine. Down, 90 degree turn, across the bottom.

/brox

wastegate2022.jpg

Im using the same jonvr4 ic piping from my 16g set up, the car now has a 54 trim, i used two couplers and clocked the turbo for it to work and saving money.

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Clean love the matte black

gmp

wow, i didnt know you were making a clean monster up north, that engine bay looks great.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned