The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any way around the "over the top" turbo outlet?

1990ggsxnj

Quoting 4doorDSM:
I agree with wop, he's a smrt mtherfcker.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I see doppelgangers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

On the subject, aesthetically wouldn't a custom ex-mani stand out over a pipe crossing it? If you're fabbing up why not just spend the time and/or $$ on a better flowing/looking manifold? Unless you're looking for that sleeper factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

For clean and quick I'm with the pipe over exhaust.

Are there any plans for future upgrades?

Last edited:

It's crooked. The jackstands didn't have it level. Against the backdrop of the radiator it looks funny. This car no longer has a/c or a p/s cooler bar, so there is room. I guess another option would be to use a smaller radiator that will fit in the space formerly occupied by the a/c unit. This should buy me a few inches of clearance. I have a VW Scirocco radiator that would fit I think.

Now I know I am definitely using a standard j-pipe since I can't clock the compressor housing. Good info, thanks

T

Last edited by a moderator:

1990ggsxnj

Sounds like a good idea. Have you thought of going with the Honda Radiator? It's shown pretty good results and given much more room when needed.

Struc

Quoting 4thStroke:

ETS has a stock like 2.5 J-pipe. It also replaces the rubber piece that runs over the manifold. A small diameter pipe is welded to the flange, but it expands to 2.5" almost immediatly. Im sure they can get one to you if you call them, but otherwise, Ive only seen it sold with the kit.

I emailed them about that a while back. You can buy just the pipe - I believe it was $89 + shipping.

Mine is routed under with no issues.

No great pics though, sorry.

IMG_2860.JPG

DSMTurbos for the win. I thought it would work.

Excellent Stallone reference

656of1000

You gutted the a/c? I'm dissapointed!

But anyway, when we were looking it over, I think we determined that the a/c was going to be in the way if you wanted the down low outlet? I think we figured that with no a/c you could use a smaller radiator (scirocco) and mount it farther foreward, so you'd have enough room for the fans and the j-pipe.
But then I said don't get rid of the a/c- your wife is going to get mad- and run over the top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Wifey will have to make do without a/c. The car still has windows and a sunroof after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif The stock rad is in ok shape. I haven't seen anyone here using a scirocco rad before, but it worked REALLY well on my dsm. Only rising above 190 on full boost drag and dyno pulls. A single spal fan would then cool the car right back down to the 180's.

Worst case is we have Brian re-weld a standard j-pipe to fit a bit farther back from the rad to make room. Nobody runs over the top on this Wop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a stock radiator in the car, all ac stuff is in the car but ac doesn't work though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif bad compressor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

J Pipe I used I believe is from SBR no modifications made

Last edited by a moderator:

4Grim

My hotside I/C piping is routed towards the bottom. I removed the a/c..but I am using a stock radiator. Piping is pretty tight..but IMO makes for a cleaner looking motor bay.

The pic isn't that great..but you can see where I routed the hotside piping.

p6020200my1.jpg

Last edited:

Quoting TurboTony:
My theory is that inlet/outlets 3 inches higher would allow me to drill out passage for piping through body just outside of the radiator.

T

So why not flip the IC core upside down and make some new brackets for it?

Not a bad idea Q. Once I finish finals this week I get to try and make some progress. I was going to try and finish building the turbo motor first. I will definitely try that though. Thanks for the new perspective

T

Made some progress and it looks like I managed to keep from going over the top (still love the Stallone reference btw). First I loaded in my Scirocco radiator. Fit like it was made for the car:

From the front. Short route piping in place
IMG00152.jpg

From the rear. I switched to a 20g for a couple reasons. First, I wanted a little more oopmph for the heavier car. Second, it was WAY easier to do the short route piping with the 20g.
IMG00151.jpg

1g short route fmic hung in place:
IMG00154.jpg

IMG00155.jpg

turbophein

are you going to vent with that setup?

Brianawd

I was able to do 1g short route piping and kept my AC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned