The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Advice on IC coupler

belize1334

I need to change something about my IC to TB coupler arrangement in order to get a little more clearance between the end-tank and the strut tower.

Basically I want to shift the whole intercooler slightly forward and outboard. Currently I'm using a n/t throttlebody and the end-tank blows straight into it with a 3"x2.75" reducer. To shift it, I'd either need a turbo throttle-body with a custom elbow (offset "S" shape), or else a fancy offset silicone coupler.

AP makes just such a coupler but it only comes in 3x3 and 3x2.4 which, talking to the rep is actually 3x2.2 since it's made for a wrx which has a 2.2" turbo inlet (claimed to be 2.4, hence the name).

click
click

So, going with the coupler plan, my options are to go back to a turbo throttlebody and get a 2.25" straight flange for it (to mate to the offset 2.2" coupler in the second link), or to adapt my n/t TB to take a 3" coupler. I'm invisioning some kind of ring spacer, either silicone or possible and aluminum ring, welded to the outside of the flange.

So here's the question, if it were you, would you try to figure out how to pinch a 3" coupler on a 2.75" flange, or would you switch to a TB with a 2.25" flange for the 2.2" coupler. Keep in mind I'm going for response, not ultimate power, so having a huge TB isn't critical.

Last edited:

rdomeck

If you are going to have any welding done, I would change the angle at which the coupler connects to the intercooler and throttle body. Keep all the parts you have! It looks like changing the angle of both would do ok! Another option, if your up for it....Cut part of your strut tower out and flip it around and weld it back in. Look like your running coil overs so there shouldn't be any issue with the spring clearing. Just my thoughts on it. I have a intercooler in the same place, but it's an air to air with a hood scoop!

belize1334

I'll definitely be leaving the strut tower alone but I will consider modifying the intercooler end-tank. The thing I like about the offset coupler is it still allows some adjustibility since it can be rotated so the offset can be vertical as well as horizontal.

Last edited:

FWIW Roger, the couplers that I use have no problem being squeezed from 3" to the 2.75" NT throttle body. If you are going to be using a silicone coupler, I would get a T-bolt clamp(because they are smooth on the inside) and a bit of silicone based lubricant(to allow the coupler to shift evenly inside the clamp) and wrench her down.

EDIT: I see that you already have t-bolt clamps. :footinmouth:

Last edited by a moderator:

belize1334

I thought about trying to squeeze the coupler but I was worried about getting a good seal. But, maybe that's the way to go.

belize1334

I think I've decided to solve this a different way. I'll cut the 3" flange off of the end-tank and have a 2.5" flange welded in place, pushed as far back as possible to give most clearance for the end-tank. This flange will incorporate the TB elbow into a single piece and bolt directly to a turbo throttle-body. Goodbye silicone couplers! Then I'll think about doing the same on the turbo side so that the IC can be supported entirely by the two manifolds.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned