The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AC Delete question

For those who have deleted AC - any regrets.
I am thinking of deleting mine - seldom use it up here in NH - and even on hot days I find
I am a windows guy.
Also I think my front mount could then be moved and I may be able to replace my hacked radiator.
(Yes you can read into it my next question - any recommendations for replacement radiator)

Also I searched - is there a How to thread here somewhere?

atc250r

Staff member
I don't know if there is. Its really straight forward if all you want to do is remove all the stuff underhood. Getting the evaporator core out from under the dash requires some work and there is no reason to remove it except for the 2 or 3 pounds it'll save you. There are a bunch of options as far as a radiator. On my car I just unbolted the top mounts, moved the rad a little to the side (now the bottom pins don't sit in their intended holes), and put the top mounts back onto their original pins but using only one bolt in each so they can pivot over to the side and reach their respective pins. If you need some pics I can get them for you Steve. I think I'm going to either try the 1G DSM one that I have in the basement (and its corresponding t-stat housing) or get one of the aftermarket ones that frees up some space as discussed in some of the threads here.

John

BoostedAWD91

Well if u dont use the a/c much then its definatly worth removing. It removes alot of weight and frees up extra space and less load on the engine with one less pulley to spin. The a/c is removed from my car and i bought a Afco Scirocco style radiator that fits right back under the radiator support and gives u tons more room. If u go this route which i did, your gonna have to switch to the DSM thermostat housing as there isnt any room for the cap under the rad support.

turbowop

I don't use my AC much when driving around town, but when I take a long trip down the freeway, the wind gets a bit annoying so I roll up the windows and turn on the AC. That's where you may regret it.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Don't remove it. You might not miss it during the summer time but when it rains or when its cold out and the winows fog up you will miss it.

Like mentioned above on really long trips it might annoying when driving with the windows down for several hours.

If you ever sell the car you will notice that a lot of guys will pass on it because of no a/c. That's what happened to my car but I purchased it without a/c and I did regret it.

Yes it does free up some space under the hood so it will be easier to work on the car. So its all up to you if want to get rid of it or not.

Appreciate all the feedback.
I don't drive it in the rain (unless I get caught at a VR4 meet)and don't drive it in the winter.

But.. it is running nice and I am starting to go on longer trips with it in the summer....

I really liked the aluminum EVO1/Mirage radiator I got through Dentsport. The only issue was the missing thermoswitch location, but Alex may be able to fix that. It bolted right in, except the mounting posts up top were slightly closer together, so you could only put one bolt in the brackets instead of 2 bolts per bracket. No biggy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned