The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C Delete, Help!!!

I need to remove my A/C inorder to fit my radiator due to my Synapse EWG taking up quite a bit of room. I searched and couldn't find any write ups on how to removed the A/C system from our cars. Can I get some help here please?

Jesh

I just bled the a/c lines and chopped them up to remove them.

I figured i'd just start removing the system. No use for it here in Alaska. But I want to do the removal in a safe manner. Guess I'll need to get it professionally drained. I just need this condenser out of there, so I have more space for the radiator.

Yep, get it drained to save the ozone. Then just start removing the lines with your flair wrenches. You can leave the evaporator in and remove everything else.

It's pretty straight forward tearing this down and since your radiator is out you shouldn't have a problem pulling the condenser.

If you were not so far away I would say bring it over. I have a vacuum pump, this way you can evacuate your AC system properly. Look on some local forums to see if anyone can evacuate your refrigerant the right way. Once that is out the lines are like legos, so they come out with not a whole lot of effort same with the condensor.

alansupra94

I wish you lived closer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I would have taken it out for you since I want my A/C system back. If you want to sell me your lines and if the shipping isn't horrendous, let me know.

Ok thanks guys, I figured it would be that simple. Yea Alan i'll sell you the lines. I only send things thru USPS since i've had so many problems with any other courier.

alansupra94

How much is shipping from Alaska? I am sure its going to cost a fortune /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. I mean if its not too bad then maybe?

Songsay

Shipping with US. Postal isnt so bad.
Fedex and UPS rape with sand though, cause we dont have ground option, only 2 day air.
$40 bucks to ship a 2 dollar part.
So US postal is the best option for shipping up here or out of here. Unless its something strange like a hood.

DR1665

AC condenser comes out pretty easily. Break the lines over by the coolant overflow bottle, then it's just a question of removing the plate with the section of hard IC piping, and the radiator. After that, I'm pretty sure it's a piece of cake. The condenser is installed in similar fashion to the radiator; just has those lines over on the driver side.

BrandonEchols

If you want a hand with it shoot me a PM and we can figure out when works.
It'd be good to get with another VR4 guy up here...same goes for you, Songsay.
I saw your introduction thread and that KG car you're rocking looks good.

Yea brandon i'd be down with getting help. So your the Summit White GVR4, I keep getting asked about. I'll pm you my number, as well as songsay. Theres also another Summit White GVR4, but his is in the shop.

Oh and I realized I can't drive my VR4 to a professional to get the a/c drained! I can't get it finished and running until the a/c condensor is outta there.

Songsay

Heating and air condition guys, dudes that work on boilers, have stuff in their vans that can capture your refrigerant.
That way you dont have to take the car anywhere.
You will have to pay of course in any action as someone is required to have a license to handle r-12

BrandonEchols

A buddy and I recently did one and just bled it with a screwdriver and pulled the condenser once the pressure was relieved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

SouthCaliVR4

It's pretty expensive. I know the shop charges a lot more for it than 134. They halted production during the whole hole in the ozone thing as it's a CFC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned