The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FMIC, radiator, turbo setup with AC?

Vr4door

Hello all, just wondering what you guys are running as far as FMIC, radiator, and turbo setup and if you are able to keep the ac. I recently managed to install the 1G VRSF FMIC kit and ran into a problem, got the condenser to fit and maintain ac but the stock radiator will no longer fit due to intercooler piping clearance issues. Also tight on front engine bay space as I have a garret 50 trim with agp 4 inch housing. Was able to squeeze a little honda rad in there but am over heating. I guess my main concern is what radiator can I run while maintaining the vrsf fmic, 50 trim (may, scratch that, WILL go bigger), and most importantly my ice cold ac! I have considered different radiators, maybe different condenser, even thought as far as custom made ac lines and trying the push the condenser further forward or something idk anymore lol.If any of you are or have ran the vrsf kit or just have any helpful advice at all it will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

transparentdsm

you need to pull the stock rad cut the lower mounting points and weld them about 1 1/2 or so to the drivers side that or you need a custom intercooler set up like a lot of people on here have.

EMX5636

I modified (narrowed)a 1G DSM aluminum radiator for my setup. Clearance was fine on the drivers side, but I think I took about 3 rows out of the passenger side and welded up the end tanks. Had to make upper brackets, but they were easy. Bottom fits in the OEM mounts.

prove_it

I thought the 1G VSRF kit fit without major mods?

transparentdsm

in a 1G sure, but in a VR4 there isn't enough room on the passenger side for 2.5" piping to clear. i have a 1G ETS core and i bought and had a bunch of aluminum piping and had to make the piping fit.

prove_it

Okey dokey.

EMX5636

I built everything in the car to retain A/C, P/S etc. I have run a SCM61, BW S362 and 262, currently on a PTE AMS750R (5857 DBB billet). I'm top mounted now, but I had a FP manifold, and a tubular stock location manifold previously with the same setup aside from lower IC pipe.

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
Still have the AC setup with my ETS kit. Modification is only to the core support with some slight work and the bumper support being modified. Otherwise, it's worked in my particular circumstance. This is also with the use of a gt3582r turbo mounted to an FP turbine housing.

GEDengineering

I have retained everything also... I am running a garret 50trim with fp manifold and housing. I run 2.5" both hot and cold side and clocked the turbo outlet to face upward like the stock 14b configuration. The fit is tight but looks and works great.

r4pt0x

Just follow the stock routing path and you'll be fine:

20150222_006.jpg

20150222_007.jpg

I even had FMIC + AC + ECS + pre-heating combined in my FWD with only some modifications to the last part of the piping (and custom intake for evo4 MAF + open filter) to clear the air tank and valve unit underneath the battery:

DSCN0154_small.jpg

DSCN0155_small.jpg

DSCN0156_small.jpg

You absolutely don't want to install a smaller radiator - the stock one is already relatively small-dimensioned.
The engine side radiator fan can be replaced by a low-profile SPAL fan and mounted in front of the radiators - there's plenty of space. To gain some more space for piping on the gearbox side you can install another SPAL fan on the stock position (behind the radiators).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned