The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AC delete How-To?

3Diamond

Woow, you guys are taking AC out, as i am trying to get mine IN! There are models that came with ac, but if youre deleting it, you could do what the owned did to me galant, he/she/it simply removed evap box, remove 3 metal clips, take evap out, and return the now (super) light box back in. Heater funstionality restored! The previous owner used some sticky tape to cover the holes left over from AC. Althoiugh i dont think tape should be used on them; as there is probably a factory solution.

Which reminds me..if anyone has a GOOD AC front condensor fan, and one of those ac temp switches that mount on thermostat housing LMK!

Yao

If you are lucky, you can find a none AC galant in the junkyard and find an OEM piece that goes where the AC core would be. I've done it on my Eclipse and it is completely factory.

CP

Ah, good idea. Off to the junkyard in the next week...after all the local ones dry out for a few days. I'm sure they're mud-central this week.

for the Non-AC plug if you remove your evap look on parts.com under Galant NON-AC... Its an $11 part.

Quote:
I don't really give a rat about future owners, if I ever even decide to sell it.

Is that any way to treat KC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

If you sell your car OF, you better not leave here either.

CP

I'm not selling the car anytime soon. I just want to retire it from daily driving within the next year. When we move into the next house in a year or two, I'm pushing for a 3 car heated garage.

CP

Condenser and all the lines are out. Same with that canister in the driver's fender. Tomorrow I'm going to have a go at the compressor, and will hit a local junkyard to see if I can find a non-AC car with the stock gutted evaporator box. Otherwise I may try to do it myself.

My system was empty of refrigerant, so we must not have gotten everything tight last May when the engine came out. Because the AC worked just fine before that, as well as the few times I used it last summer too.

s_firestone

Pulling it is not too bad. You will want to put some thought into blocking the two gaping holes in the firewall one right beside the fuel filter and one down lower for the AC drain. I think the cover will assemble without the evaporator fine. While your there good time to clean all the leaves out and consider a cabin filter. Come to think of it, that would be a great location for a water injection tank.

CP

By the stock fuel filter there are two holes in the fitting that passes through the firewall (one bigger than the other), which I plugged with some rubber caps pushed in backwards.

AC drain? I didn't see that one. Where exactly is it?

s_firestone

About an inch above the bottom of the firewall/pan to the left(from the inside) of where the A/C lines pass through. The drain(plastic) exits the hole and turns straight down, and comes out just to the passenger side of the driveshaft(about 1/2" clearance). You may have to reach and feel for it. I think the drain gets easily obscured by padding from the inside. There may be a hole on the back of the evaporator housing where it comes through. Once the evaporator comes out, it comes out real easy(and may have already fallen out).

Cy-one thing I did not see mentioned is the compressor bracket.It also acts as a spacer for your axle support bracket that bolts to the block.When I removed my bracket,I cut the ear off and installed it behind the axle support.It's fairly easy to do,just thought I'd give you a heads up.--Jeff

Anyone have some pictures on how exactly to do this? or before and after pics.. I'm not sure of these parts you guys speak of.. Condesor?

Rausch

AC_Layout.jpg

Thank You.. Soo i shouldn't have any problems if i remove all of that stuff? I really dunno what i'm doing when it comes to a/c removal..

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If I had written one earlier, my point exactly. ^^^
Unless you absolutely need the space ... Oh hell, you don't and you can keep AC in the car even with 800 HP, just be gentle when it's on and don't drag with it turned on, even though there is a cutout feature likely near the 5k mark to save the compressor internals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

If you have to remove the condenser, compressor and exterior lines for temporary drag glory, I could see doing this, but keep the dash stuff intact and properly capped. You can have AC and still have proper cooling factors, just be sure to get "good", big fans and duct that front end.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Don't remove your A/C. You'll be old someday, and regret it.

I'm old.
I drove my car to work and back yesterday.
I do not have AC.
I spent an hour in traffic with all 4 windows down and the sunroof wide open.
NO RAGRETS

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts