The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5th gear and reverse almost impossible to ingage...

New clutch kit installed < than 2000 miles on it

All other gears feel flawless.

What are all of the possible reasons?

got too much other sh*t going on right now so any help is appreciated

Thanks fellas

Terry Posten

Loosen the reverse/back-up sensor and try again.

Once you confirm your issues are gone, remove sensor and re-install the washer that needs to be there spacing it up enough to allow for smooth shifting.

broxma

Check the cables as well. Since the kick out for 5/reverse is the same(Just a difference of up or back on the shifter), it could be that the linkage isn't actually going fully over, even when the shifter has hit the stop. Something similar can happen if the plastic bushing inside the shifter arm itself gets broken or goes missing.

See if you can engage it by hand with the engine off. If so, it will likely be a problem at the shifter itself.

/brox

Barnes

Quoting Terry Posten:

Try this first. Although it's odd that if this is the problem it wouldn't be apparent until 2000 miles later. Normally it's right after the install.

Dark_Horse

If you still have the stock BOV/IC pipes, check to see if your BOV is hitting your shift cables.
That was my problem. One of the bolts came loose on the IC pipes, which moved the BOV into the way of the shift cables...Making 5th and reverse very hard to engage.

DynastyLCD

Quoting Terry Posten:

Once you confirm your issues are gone, remove sensor and re-install the washer that needs to be there spacing it up enough to allow for smooth shifting.

this for starters. i typically grab the socket and tighten the sensor snug by hand. that's all you really need.

also, check the shift linkage where it bolts to the transmission. there is two bolts that hold the bracket for the shift cables to the transmission itself. if these are loose/missing, you wont be able to engage either gear for the life of you. semi common problem. i have fixed that issue 4 times personally on 4 different 1g's.

Thanks for the input as always!

I will get to checking all of these asap!

Luke

rdomeck

This brings up another question....I recently replace my trans and have been looking for two nights on a proper adjustment procedure. I have pulled the cables off the trans and adjusted them so the don't have to move any to go back on? Seems like the right way, but didn't find anything in the library or the search in this forum!

DynastyLCD

rdomeck - pull the cables off the shifter itself. with the shifter at rest, you should adjust the left shift cable so that it can slide on and off without having to move the shifter around.

rdomeck

I have done that, but still having problems with it going in gear. Just bought a "good" used transmission and I'm hoping that it's something in the shifter and not the trans! Seems pretty simple, but thought I would ask if there was anything special! Thanks, Randy

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned