The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help: Car Bind in Forward Gears, OK in reverse

desant78

Hello gvr4.org

Last night the oddest problem occured, when I got home I pulled in the driveway and gently downshifted into second. All was great. When I went to turn around the car, reverse worked great. Then I attempted to move forward and the car binded up. 1st and 2nd it is really noticable, and 3rd (desperate to try stuff) seemed like I had the brakes on. To sum up my problem

1. Car Rolls freely, forward or reverse, while RUNNING and in gear with clutch down.
2. Reverse works perfect, and I can even use reverse at WOT with no issues. (not ideal just testing). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
3. Car seems to not be able to move in forward gears. Attempt to heavily slip the clutch, car will get into gear and immediately stall. If I give ANY gas while in gear a violent bucking occurs and stalls the car.
4. Also out of no where, when Idling it's near impossible to get car into second gear. (w/ clutch depreseed). If i go straight to second, I feel as though im locked out the gear. If i got into first(which is much easier) then attempt second, I am able to get into second but after a few tries.

This tranny was always super clunky, but w/ soft shifting and the occasion rev match it was almost not noticable. I have NEVER launched the car, but have had plenty of 3k to 6k pulls in it. I also gently shift from each gear, even when I rev to 6k because the trans doesn't like to shift. I have been driving the car/trans for about 1.6k miles.

I am using Syncro-mesh, which I read was a bad idea but at the time that was all I could find. I am running 10 psi and not reving past 6K (due to other problems). I have some MT 90 finally going in this weekend.

When I do hit 6K rpm, the car hits a fuel cut/rev limit. I assume this is violent on the trans, happens occasionally by accident, but not often. I'm just trying to give all the details I can.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am going to drain the trans fluid this weekend and see if I find any metal shaving etc. I suspect something with the 1 + 2 gears broke, binding up and locking up the car when I attempt to use the gears.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a loss of what to really. Game plan is to check oil, if I find nothing, change trans? So suggestions/opinions would be a huge help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

thanks in advance!

DynastyLCD

Sal, i had a similar issue with my white car when i got it back together.... turns out the goon who put "brand new brakes" all the way around forgot to put one of the bracket bolts for the rear caliper in. i hit the brakes one day gettin of the highway, had it lock up, but in reverse, it knocked the caliper back off the wheel and i could continue. just something to look into.

if it is a transmission problem... i've got a spare rebuilt one with your name on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kama1

My previous vr4 did the binding after a tcase failure(locked up rear wheel at speed).
After replacing the tcase assy it still binded,opted to buy a used tranny and tcase all together.problem solved.
Never did figure out what could have been damaged in that tranny.

theevozero

I had a similar problem happen to a customers car. After rebuilding the transmission and installing it, found that it would not pull out of reverse. It would go into all the other gears just fine and even reverse. But the reverse idler would not return to its static location, thus locking up the transmission when you try to move. Turns out the small bead that goes between the 5-R and 3-4 shift rail, fell out when the shift rails were removed. It acts as the reverese detent, allowing the 5-R rail to grasp the reverse mechanism. It took a bit to figure out, but your issue sounds like this. But, I seriously doubt yours fell out, but I would look at that shift rail. Check all your detent bolts on the outside of the case and make sure they are there and tight. If you find nothing, sound like it will need to be removed and inspected.

desant78

^nope. Update: rocked the car in first gear and now car works except 1st gear still seems to bind and lock up the drive train. Secind third amd reverse gears worked just like normal. Im visiting the family so after the weekend ill start tearing into it.

desant78

Update: Since I had all forward gears but first working, I attempted to drive the car to my shop. After going into reverse, NONE of the forward gears worked again.

I am now able to put the car into a forward gear, and push the car. It is harder to move than in nuetral, but I can still push the car pretty easily. In reverse, car won't move.

I had the car towed to my shop, and plan to remove the trans and switch it with another spare (cracked trans from my build thread).

I will drain the trans oil and have my replacement trans hopefully drained this weekend, to maybe have the car trans swap occur over the weekend.

slugsgomoo

Are you going to take the trans apart and try to figure out what's going on? Sounds almost like something (bent fork? broken pieces?) is preventing it from going into gear all the way & binding up that way.

desant78

Eventually i will, but for the immediate future i will put a new trans this weekens and holefully get boosting again!

DynastyLCD

please, bring this thing up so we can find out what you demolished /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

when you do swap the transmission, check the transfer case too. take it off the driveshaft, and make sure you can spin it both ways freely, just to make sure that isnt your problem!

desant78

^phil ive told everyone that ima come up to CT to tear apart and rebuild my trans with this crazy cool dsm dude. So your invite better still be good! I have a trip to.vegas in jan after that ill have funds for the build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

strokin4dr

Check the backet that holds the shifter cables under the hood to make sure both clips are still correctly in place before pulling the trans.

DynastyLCD

Quoting desant78:
^phil ive told everyone that ima come up to CT to tear apart and rebuild my trans with this crazy cool dsm dude. So your invite better still be good! I have a trip to.vegas in jan after that ill have funds for the build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the offer is still good of course! you better win enough cash to build a dogbox!!!

strokin4dr's recommendation to check the cable bracket is a good one too. ive fixed a few that wouldn't go into reverse or 5th or 1st/2nd because of that bracket being loose.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned