The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifting problem, No 5th or reverse

dsm10o0

Well I just installed a new act flywheel and an ebay XTD stage 3 clutch. Problem now is that it doesnt want to shift in 5th or reverse. It goes 1 - 4 without problems but 4th is all the way to right where reverse goes. Before all this happened the trans worked good besides 1st gear grind. Ive checked the cables and are good but when I play with the shifter lever, you have to force it in to get into reverse and 5th wont go in at all.(cables not connected)

Please help. I'm lost and very tired. Ive been working on the car for 2weeks straight just to get it running. Original problem was I melted a piston and just finished doing a full rebuild. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

transparentdsm

take off the cotter pins and remove the shifter cables off the transmission shifter pieces, put the shifter dead in the center and the trans in neutral then adjust the cables so they slide right onto the transmission shifter pieces. really easy. every time ive swapped a trans or done a clutch i had to do this.

dsm10o0

Thanks for the quick reply. Ill give that a try, but when i remove the shifter cables off the trans shifter leaver and play with it, 5th wont go in at all and you have to force reverse to go in.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
IIRC, fifth on some DSM transmission had the large nut loosening off issue. Accessible through the end cover and resealable with RTV
or the red goo for transmission and diff cases. There is a writeup on DSM VFAQ on this as well. Can you get reverse properly? This would help
to eliminate that shift fork, because I believe 5th and reverse share the same rod and fork.

Barnes

Slow down everyone. Loosen the reverse sender switch a few turns, then try it. If it works, add an extra crush washer or two under the sender switch and re-tighten.

dsm10o0

Its really hard to get it into reverse. I have to force it in just to go, but with the shifter cables on, reverse is 4 gear. Ill loosen the reverse sensor and report back. Hopefully its that simple.

dsm10o0

Quoting Barnes:
Slow down everyone. Loosen the reverse sender switch a few turns, then try it. If it works, add an extra crush washer or two under the sender switch and re-tighten.

Thank you!!! This was the exact problem with it. It was night when I was putting it on and I missed the washer. You the man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Barnes

Glad I could help. I've had practice. Not only has this happen to myself, I've given the same diagnosis 6 or 7 times before already. It happens to a lot of people because it is so easy. The funny thing is you can still have the same problem even if you remembered the washer. One of my transmissions needed two washers to seal properly, but also not block the shift rail.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Would have never thought of that being an issue, that is another to store away in memory for me.

DynastyLCD

Quoting Barnes:
Glad I could help. I've had practice. Not only has this happen to myself, I've given the same diagnosis 6 or 7 times before already. It happens to a lot of people because it is so easy. The funny thing is you can still have the same problem even if you remembered the washer. One of my transmissions needed two washers to seal properly, but also not block the shift rail.

i find that tightening these just enough is the best recipe. no need for a ratchet/socket. alot of times, even with the washer, simply over-tightening it will do the same thing. thats happened to me before!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned