The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 engines in one year - do I win?

trunks

Engine number 1: Purchased here darksideracing Mar '10 - ran for 3 minutes then crapped out. Massive blowby, low compression, toast.
Engine number 2: Purchased July local DSM guy (he's in the bad guy section here too) - started horrible knocking last week. I've babied the car as a dd very rarely accelerated hard.

Engine number 3: ?? I picked up a block locally cheap. Taking it to well know builder with a good reputation. No more messing around - wiseco pistons, eagle rods, acl tri metal bearings, arp mains, l19 head studs, balance shaft removal (he's doing it for me). Anything else I'm missing? I might pick up a tre tranny too while I'm at it since 3rd gear is grinding badly. I'm also going back to an oem flywheel as I'm sick and tired of all the driveline noise from the Fidanza.

I've learned the hard way and I'm hoping any newbs reading this will learn from my mistakes. If your not sure about it don't buy it. Anybody gone through more than three blocks in a year or do I get the golden dousche award /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

alansupra94

This is why I rebuilt and build my own motors with my own clearances and specifications.

trunks

Julian unfortunately (in the bad guy section). I hate to post this as I know he's had a tough go in life in general. He's a nice guy and all but I just have to stop letting people take advantage of me.

hay dont be to hard on yourself about going thru 3 engines in one year on my old 93 ford probe in a year and a half i went thru 3 engines and trans u just gotta learn from mistakes

Diego

Purchase 1309 fall of '06

Known bad head. Replace......10.7 miles.... toast
Replace bottom end and another head.....1105 miles..... toast.
Buy a rebuilt engine...... have shop install while working out of town......3700 miles.... toast.

Spring 07 new bottom and head turbo...... 30xx.xx miles..... toast.

Fall 07 new engine.............5xxx miles, waterpump, idler pulleys, timing, oil pump lock....

Fall 08 another engine..... omg it still runs. Now to figure out the rattle/vibration coming from either trans or driveline.

trunks

I have to apologize to Julian. Looks like just a loose bolt in the timing belt arm. I think the block is okay after all.

Quoting Diego:
Purchase 1309 fall of '06

Known bad head. Replace......10.7 miles.... toast
Replace bottom end and another head.....1105 miles..... toast.
Buy a rebuilt engine...... have shop install while working out of town......3700 miles.... toast.

Spring 07 new bottom and head turbo...... 30xx.xx miles..... toast.

Fall 07 new engine.............5xxx miles, waterpump, idler pulleys, timing, oil pump lock....

Fall 08 another engine..... omg it still runs. Now to figure out the rattle/vibration coming from either trans or driveline.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You do realize, of course, you just screwed yourself with Murphy.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting agent23:
hay dont be to hard on yourself about going thru 3 engines in one year on my old 93 ford probe in a year and a half i went thru 3 engines and trans u just gotta learn from mistakes

Was it the ZE engine?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned