The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

185000 mile car maintenance questions and motor questions

einstein

My 91 galant vr4 just turned 185k miles within the past month it has blown 2 rear brake lines, is that normal? They were the rear inner brake lines, what would cause this, age?

Also at idle all stock what sort of vacuum should i have, i currently have about 17lbs of vacuum at idle.

Lastly other than timing belt and cam balancer belt what sort of maintenance does this car need to make it another 50k or so miles?

also the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, is it good to leave on or can you take it off, mine is cracked in several pieces.

Matt

KiNgMaRtY

Yes, leave the heatshield on the manifold. Your vacuum doesn't seem to off. If it was the rubber lines that broke it could just be age. You can get some SS lines to replace them with

Struc

With that many miles, the car should probably be looked over by somebody who knows what they are looking for. If that isn't you, then you should find a recommended "mom & pop" shop to take it to.

Since your rear brake hoses blew (I assume you meant the rubber pieces), you should also check the hard lines. My GVR4 has 185k on it too, and I just replaced the lines (all of them) that run from the engine compartment to the rear - fuel, fuel return, and both rear brake lines. Check the front ones as well. If the rubber pieces are original, replace all of them (all 4 wheels), as they are probably at their age limit. Garfield sells a nice stainless line set at Tuners Nation.

Have them check the driveshaft, and rebuild if necessary. The carriers go bad and sag.

Have the bushings (Body mount bushings, control arm bushings, etc) & joints checked (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc).

Wheel bearings are a concern at this point as well - have them checked out.

Change your fluids (Tranny, x-fer case, rear diff) as well as any engine fluids that haven't been done in a while.

These are just a few things off the top of my head (and things I've done to mine).

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned