The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just a quick hi and maybe a few questions...

dusteddisgusted

Just wanted to say hi, introduce myself and ask a few questions. I've utfse, but unfortunately my search engine skills are far below my wrenching skills.
So one of my friends just purchased a VR4 (#1304). The water pump bearings ended up taking a sh*t, so I offered to fix it for him, given my background (ASE, Ford and Subaru Master Tech). Given the rarity of the Galant VR4s, and the wealth on knowledge available here, I'd though I'd join and help when/where I could, and also hopefully pick up some knowledge specific to these wonderful machines. A bunch has been done (although not as cleanly as I would have done it), but he has a bunch of problems that need to be addressed. I have a couple of questions that I'd like some help/guidance on. The timing belt is oil soaked. I have a t-belt, tensioner, idler, balance shaft belt, and all front seals on order. It has HKS cams, with an adjustable cam pulley (non-indexed) on the intake. How is changing the belt in terms of the camshafts wanting to "flip" on you? beyond the hex slots on the cams, I didn't see anyway of holding the cams stationary when changing the belt (as opposed to to say a integra, where you can drop bolts in some holes to keep them from flipping)? Is there a special tool to use the hex slots? Any tek on a homemade one? Also, I have a super low clutch pedal engagement. I vacuum bled the hydraulic system, but really no improvement. There is an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate installed, but my friend doesn't know the brand. The adjustment for the master (which looks brand new) is all the way to the max. The old owner blamed it on the transmission, but I don't see how anything internal to the transmission is going to affect clutch engagement. (although I could see a bad pilot bearing/bushing causing grinding issues). The new owner is also wanting to rebuild the trans, so if anyone has a line on a rebuild kit (just synchros/blockers and "soft" parts, the gears sound find, and I'd get used if they were bad anyway) and specs for endplay/backlash/etc. would be greatly appreciated. The engine is apparently stroked (I have no idea by who, or with what crank/rods/pistons, but allegedly by the "best" in the bay area), and compression readings are ~190 (within 2% across the board), which, according to my calculations put the compression ratio around 13:1, super high for a forced induction engine, not to mention that the turbo on there is huge. Whoever was into the front axles last didn't torque the axles nuts down right, 'cause when I got to them the nut had ~1/4" of freeplay between it and the bearings, so those are on there way as soon as I can get the damn rotors loose (never-seize people, it does have uses!!! lol). Speaking of, anywhere to get torque specs for this beauty online? I'd prefer maybe a scribd factory manual, but I'd settle for anything reliable. Dealership experience has made me kinda anal about that stuff, as well as allowed me to see the repercussions of improper torque. I'd hate to waste money on some shitty haynes/chilton manual just for torque specs when they're probably wrong anyway. In any case, it seems like there are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people on here, hopefully I will be able to contribute as much as I take away from here. Sorry for the long winded first post. Unfortunately there will be more to come (as long as my comcast doesn't crap out again). I've fallen in love with this car and plan on picking my own up asap, so I'll be around a while. Thanks in advance.

ktmrider

First off, welcome to the site/realm.

Second, please please please get on a laptop or desktop computer and reformat that ENTIRE blog you just posted. I'm short tempered but dang IMO it's impossible to read. I got two lines before stopping.

James

Holy wall of text. I'm not reading that.

JNR

OK, for the sake of sanity, here's your post in a somewhat legible format and took about 30 seconds to add a couple 'enter' keystrokes, lol...Not perfect, but hopefully people can now read it...first time's free, after that you'll have to pay the piper here, haha

Just wanted to say hi, introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I've utfse, but unfortunately my search engine skills are far below my wrenching skills.

So one of my friends just purchased a VR4 (#1304). The water pump bearings ended up taking a sh*t, so I offered to fix it for him, given my background (ASE, Ford and Subaru Master Tech). Given the rarity of the Galant VR4s, and the wealth on knowledge available here, I'd though I'd join and help when/where I could, and also hopefully pick up some knowledge specific to these wonderful machines.

A bunch has been done (although not as cleanly as I would have done it), but he has a bunch of problems that need to be addressed. I have a couple of questions that I'd like some help/guidance on. The timing belt is oil soaked. I have a t-belt, tensioner, idler, balance shaft belt, and all front seals on order. It has HKS cams, with an adjustable cam pulley (non-indexed) on the intake.

How is changing the belt in terms of the camshafts wanting to "flip" on you? beyond the hex slots on the cams, I didn't see anyway of holding the cams stationary when changing the belt (as opposed to to say a integra, where you can drop bolts in some holes to keep them from flipping)? Is there a special tool to use the hex slots? Any tek on a homemade one?

Also, I have a super low clutch pedal engagement. I vacuum bled the hydraulic system, but really no improvement. There is an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate installed, but my friend doesn't know the brand. The adjustment for the master (which looks brand new) is all the way to the max. The old owner blamed it on the transmission, but I don't see how anything internal to the transmission is going to affect clutch engagement. (although I could see a bad pilot bearing/bushing causing grinding issues).

The new owner is also wanting to rebuild the trans, so if anyone has a line on a rebuild kit (just synchros/blockers and "soft" parts, the gears sound find, and I'd get used if they were bad anyway) and specs for endplay/backlash/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

The engine is apparently stroked (I have no idea by who, or with what crank/rods/pistons, but allegedly by the "best" in the bay area), and compression readings are ~190 (within 2% across the board), which, according to my calculations put the compression ratio around 13:1, super high for a forced induction engine, not to mention that the turbo on there is huge.

Whoever was into the front axles last didn't torque the axles nuts down right, 'cause when I got to them the nut had ~1/4" of freeplay between it and the bearings, so those are on there way as soon as I can get the damn rotors loose (never-seize people, it does have uses!!! lol). Speaking of, anywhere to get torque specs for this beauty online? I'd prefer maybe a scribd factory manual, but I'd settle for anything reliable. Dealership experience has made me kinda anal about that stuff, as well as allowed me to see the repercussions of improper torque. I'd hate to waste money on some shitty haynes/chilton manual just for torque specs when they're probably wrong anyway.

In any case, it seems like there are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people on here, hopefully I will be able to contribute as much as I take away from here. Sorry for the long winded first post. Unfortunately there will be more to come (as long as my comcast doesn't crap out again). I've fallen in love with this car and plan on picking my own up asap, so I'll be around a while. Thanks in advance.

quato

thanks for the translation JNR and welcome to the board dusteddisgusted! there is so much knowledge here it's crazy. if you can think it, somebody here has probably already done it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

dusteddisgusted

Thanks for the leeway guys, I ended up getting into the Wild Turkey a bit, and tend to be a little long winded anyway. I will make judicious use of the [enter] button, and better delineate paragraphs in the future.

As of now, I'm waiting on parts to get here before I tear into her. I plan on documenting the entire repair/build on video (at least as much as I can videoing it myself). If anyone has any interest, I will put it on youtube and provide links. Thanks again for the warm welcome, despite my faux pas.

GSTwithPSI

When setting the timing belt on the cams, I place a wrench on each of the cam gear bolts. If the bolts are tightened to spec, you won't have any issues with them coming loose, as you only have to overcome the valve spring pressure. Use the wrenches to move the cams where the timing marks line up. When the timing marks are lined up, use one hand to hold the wrenches, and use the other to take zip ties and run them through the cam gears. Tighten the timing belt to each gear with the zip ties. I usually only use 1 zip tie per cam gear, and I try to place it in the middle of where the belt is actually making contact with the gear. This will actually allow you to rotate the cams alone in time for a few degrees in each direction. I do this procedure first, and then set the other timing components after. I'm sure there are a million other ways to do this, but this is how I have personally done it with the least amount of time and effort. This has worked for me with the motor both in, and out of the car.

desant78

If you plan on owning one of these cars, then you will LOVE this tool for the timing belt.

click

it's a kit that has a insert that locks the cam, and a tool that fits in the "tensioner pulley" (not sure the proper turn), makes the job so much easier.

You can def do it without the tool, but if you plan on doing this a few times, I'd say it's safe to say even the first time using it you'll be happy you have it.

Good luck!

Hertz

Staff member
Low pedal can be the pivot ball on the fork in the trans. It's moving instead of pivoting. Some have had luck shimming it, I believe.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting desant78:
If you plan on owning one of these cars, then you will LOVE this tool for the timing belt.

click

it's a kit that has a insert that locks the cam, and a tool that fits in the "tensioner pulley" (not sure the proper turn), makes the job so much easier.

You can def do it without the tool, but if you plan on doing this a few times, I'd say it's safe to say even the first time using it you'll be happy you have it.

Good luck!

Yup that tool is awesome. They paint a little line and an "up" arrow on it which was convenient but mine quickly wore off. I recommend lightly carving that stuff in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned