The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3rd gear notchy after swap from PTT to XTD

I took the splines off of my PTT Twin Disc a few months ago flooring it in 3rd gear.

I tore it all down and put in a new XTD Stage 4 Flywheel, Clutch, and Pressure Plate. I have replaced the master and slave
and bled them far too many times. The slave is a green piston one for extended throw as well. I have adjusted the master at the pedal.

All of the gears go in just fine. A quick test with an extended slave cylinder doesn't help either. It's not a grind going in, just a notchy feeling and not every time. It isn't heat related either.

The shifter is a 1g shifter and it has been adjusted as well.

3rd gear was just fine before the swap. The tranny used to shift like butter!

Tranny fluid is GL4 Compliant Coastal. This is what the previous owner used in the tranny and he was a heavy hitter here.

I did take the splines off the PTT while in 3rd gear and am wondering if I somehow damaged the tranny.

Any ideas on what to do or if I wrecked the tranny? I don't want to be quick to blame fluid type that has always worked just fine in there.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

I would recheck the shifter adjustment first. I had the same kind of issue with mine, found the trans r&r had tweaked things a bit.

I spent a great deal of time on readjusting the shifter. I even used a tape measure. The only thing that I didn't do was roll without the center console in place to test it.

I'll try that again, thanks.

Cables have once again been adjusted meticulously.

All contact points have been greased. Any more ideas?

Help please.

Tranny Fluid changed to straight synchromesh. Adjusted the crap out of the cables...alot better but still notice it.

Any ideas??

Specter

So did you fix your problem? I have been searching on XTD clutches and have read what happened with you and why you went with XTD. So what is the update now, how is it running?

Gombos

I'm not sure how much your slave extended the throw, but another way you can add throw to the pedal is to adjust the top clutch switch back and extend the clutch master rod out a bit more. Just had to do this for my 2600 due to it catching near the floor, making the trans feel notchy.

Brunoboy

What top clutch switch?

Diego

I think what Gambos was trying to say was, Extend the MASTER rod out a 1/8 turn or a touch more.

marvinmadman

It's the cruise switch. What he said makes perfect sense to me. If you need more pedal travel just loosen that switch which is the upper bump stop essentially, and tighten the master rod more to take up the extra slack which will give you more travel of the pedal. Which should push the clutch slave further out.

slugsgomoo

I wouldn't run straight syncromesh, unless you don't like your gears or bearings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

That said, going from a twin to a single and not shifting as well? I'd put this in the 'normal' camp. Twin disk should've made synchro problems a lot less apparent, and given that it's not as bad with straight syncromesh that kind of bears that out.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned