The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PTT vs. XTD Clutch Setup...Trashed PTT what would you do?

DynastyLCD

for the price of rebuilding, id go with the PTT again. ive had mine in my car for over 5k, daily driving, launching, snow drifting, generally beating the crap out of it. hasnt slipped/groaned/complained in any way yet. will probably install this in my next few cars as well.

Brunoboy

lose performance? how so?
-Shane

Not an expert, more of a dummy...but I would imagine that the XTD setup even when combined with an 11 lbs lighter flywheel would be substantially heavier than the PTT weighing in at about 17 lbs total with the clutches, PP, and flywheel together.

Doesn't reduction in these areas count for alot more than the 6 lbs? Just curious.

curtis

10 lbs of rotational weight is equal to a tenth in the quarter and as you know owning one there is a big difference in the way it puts out the power to the ground. Plus you being use to this now and going backwards in performance will drive you nuts and the car will be hard to get use to. Plus the attack driving style you've been using now will be back to baby steps I could never do it.

At the price there telling you sounds like there selling you 2 disks and a pressure plate and maybe surfacing the flywheel and the hat is fine. I may need to get a pressure plate for mine but when the car went down due to a thrust bearing crankwalk issue I was 50 miles away and me being me and the whole saying the car has never been on a tow truck I forced it home. Max loss on the sisk I think is like .007 or .009 and i had like .075 or something stupid like that. They couldn't believe it was still moving. I laid the pp on a marble slab /part of a broken headstone I have and checked it with a feeler gauge and its right to the edge of replacement. I wish I would have seen this before and could have told you how to measure and check and might have saved you some money.

Now to the people thats never driven a VR4 with a PTT its insanity grip and engagement and all the power is going to the tires not heat with a slipping clutch. My first drive I was hooked and couldn't believe the clutch was slipping as much as it was with a standard style unit. If you've ever driven a big HP V8 car and remember how you throttle it and look in the mirror and watch the car dust the tires in every gear thats what these did for mine. Even 4th gear was dusting and shaking the tires like being in my old mustang on spray.

Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I ended up going with an XTD due to funds. I have heard really good things about it. I am hoping the freaking hubs don't wear down to nothing like they did on the PTT instantly leaving me stranded in the middle of the road. Warning signs would have been nice. Hopefully there isn't much of a difference. This time around it is metallic whereas last time it was organic.

Selling the flywheel. There is just 5 pounds difference between the 2 of them. Not to worried! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flywheel is still good, selling it here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts