The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PTT vs. XTD Clutch Setup...Trashed PTT what would you do?

I took off all the splines on both of the PTT twin clutch Disc Hubs setup driving down the road in 3rd gear at WOT. I imagine that the hubs were worn down so much and it was probably just waiting to happen.

Anyways, I have read good things about the Ebay XTD stage 4 clutch/pressure plate and flywheel.

I could send the PTT stuff off to PTT and have them replace the twin discs for $289. Their labor is free even for second owners etc. I am worried that I might have damaged the flywheel when I had to take MAP Gas to the bolts to get them loose though. The flywheel alone is $406. PTT says that they have never seen a trashed flywheel. I also dropped the pressure plate about a foot along with the clutch discs when removing them. PTT didn't think that that would be an issue for the PP as long as I didn't bend any fingers on the PP (It fell on it's edge not it's side).

Money is very tight for me at this point. I guess I would have to pay shipping to send the stuff over to PTT and then pay shipping for it to come back.

On the other hand, the EBAY stuff is all brand new and I could get it in my hands quicker. I could put in a best offer on both items as well. (Time is not really too much of an issue but the car has been down for about a month now although it is not my daily driver I want it out of my carport).

What would you do? I don't want to lose performance going to the XTD since the PTT is substantially lighter. This is still some lure for me in having new parts though. It would stink to waste money shipping the PTT stuff only to have them tell me that it is going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Honestly if I had a PTT that could be repaired for less than 300.00 id take that route. I'd ask them if you sent the whole kit if they can check to make sure no damage was done when it fell. But in all honestly having a clutch that was probably 900.00 or more, and thinking of going to an ebay clutch, to me this would be out of the question why trust an ebay clutch when you can possibly get yours repaired for close to the same amount?

BTW im not saying Ebay clutches are bad i had an xtd stage 1 for my fwd and never had a problem.

just my .02
Jesse

Thank you for your thoughts. This is what I am looking for. Honest answers really. I appreciate your time. Since things are hard, I'll send it parcel post. If it is more than I can afford and it costs me substantially than $300, I will sell the good parts here or abandon it.

I'd send it to ptt and see if you can get an answer why the splines failed like they did and go from there. Also, if the splines in the disk hubs failed, you may have damaged the transmission output shaft.

They told me that it is pretty natural for the hubs to fail like they do. PTT told me that it only happens on our trannies and not on evos etc.

I also heard that this failure protects the input shaft on the tranny. If the input shaft on the tranny failed, wouldn't it be visible? It looked perfect when I dropped the tranny. Is there something in the tranny that might have failed as well? I turn it and the other shaft (not sure what to call it) turns just fine as a result.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Well it's off to PTT. I will ship it parcel post and see what happens. If I can't afford it, I wouldn't have put alot of money into shipping it.

Thanks for the thoughts.

ive heard of them eating up the splines on the transmission input shaft when they fail. if yours look ok and a new disk slides on then you are fine.

I just saw this in the for sale section today someone is selling replacement ptt disc 220 shipped.. If you wanted to go that route.

click

Jesse

Thanks everyone...well the pressure plate is apparently trashed too. So it's looking like $550 shipped or so. XTD Stage 4 is looking pretty good at this point. Not sure what to do with money being tight.

I wonder if the XTD stuff already comes with it's own pressure plate bolts or if I would need new ones.

cheekychimp

Quoting Jesse_W:
I just saw this in the for sale section today someone is selling replacement ptt disc 220 shipped.. If you wanted to go that route.

click

Jesse

He has lowered that price Quote:
Brand new replacement PTT clutch disks metallic .250" - $160 shipped

How much is the replacement PTT PP?

3rdstrikedsm

XTD is total junk! I have seen 2 people buy these and they faild on the first handful of launches.
They are just garbage.

Brunoboy

Ive had my XTD Stage 4 6puck unsprung for over a year now, 8k miles with back to back launches. still holds and drives fine. Pedal feel isnt as bad as my act 2100. for 190$ shipped to my door I made the right choice.

donniekak

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
XTD is total junk! I have seen 2 people buy these and they faild on the first handful of launches.
They are just garbage.

My last one lasted about 20 1.6 60's at the track and probably 100+ street launches.

3rdstrikedsm

Lol you must have had the 1 good one ever made.

Brunoboy

Mine as well? I launch hard off the stutterbox

mountaineerjeff

Ive also had good results with xtd, my experience was with FWD, but price vs performance is pretty good

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned