The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is injector installed correctly?

vtecds1

I tend to over analize things and this is one of them...As MOD approaches, I'm constantly going over the car to make sure it wont leave me and my son stranded on the side of the road. Can someone tell me if the injector gap normal? Should there evEn be a gap. My car was tuned last year by a local shop and I noticed that my a/f would jump between 14.3-15.1 @ idle. I always thought it was fine because the tuner didn't mention anything. The car runs great but I noticed that with my 680 pte's, my a/f would hold between 14.6-14.8 on a SAFC. But I did change the IM to a FRH and my injectors right now are pte's 1200 and Link V3.
img.php

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Can you take a larger picture? It looks like its missing the rubber injector to intake seal.

JNR

Is that an FIC injector? From my findings (went from Denso to FIC then back to Denso), the FIC's are shorter than the Densos by ~1/32" (don't quote me on that #; I have exact # on my notes at home though), from top to where it seats and in order to have them seat the same and do things right, I shaved off that same amount (~1/32") from the isolators, so that the injectors seat the same as oem, or densos. Nobody else really mentions this on here and don't think anybody else has really checked, but this was the difference between the two (denso 550 and FIC 650) and so I compensated, as required. I personally feel this is why so many people have issues with FIC's and don't understand why (provided the tune is adjusted).

mikus

in absolute terms you can test the seal with a boost leak test. Not sure about JNR's point on the injector outlet distance relative to IM, it's a variable but I can't help but wonder how much it matters with the pressures/airflows. I'd be more suspect of specific injector deadtime causing issues

JNR

^^^Yeah, only reason I brought this up is the FIC didn't seat down as far into the head (injector) opening as the denso, since the fuel rail is static height (using oem isolators, which place the distance of the rail) and with the bottom of the FIC injector being ~1/32" less into the head opening (vs. the Denso which is oem), it seemed to me that it did not seal quite as well...I mean, the fuel didn't come out or anything, but remember the spray also is facing down and more distance down from the o-ring, so it's possible there could be a slight air leak just enough to throw off AF/R. Maybe not, but IIRC the hole is also tapered slightly and I didn't want to take a chance and have the c.l. orf o-ring exaclty the same as oem; since the FIC's kind of sucked to begin with and I was having other issues, this was eliminating any possibility...Basically all I did by removing that amount from the isolators is have the FIC injector sit in the head opening the exact amount the denso did...I have notes and sketches in my file, if anybody wants exact info on this.

Last edited:

JNR

That's nice, although doesn't take away the fact they do not sit the same; doesn't sound like an issue though, but I like things 100% correct and is easy to trim down the spacers, if anybody wants to do it properly.

JNR

Ha ha, OK...I can't teach logic, sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Giving you a hard time there, but seriously, this is child's play...

I work on all my own stuff, come up with new things and have many resources at my disposal, so it doesn't bother me to do the details and I design things down to .0005" that fit together, so probably just in my nature to make sure things are spot on. Also, all my stuff runs higher hp and better than most others, so must be doing something right in my attention to detail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Tell me again what kind of numbers your GVR4 puts down? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I see you in every injector thread going off about this 1/32" that FIC injectors are off. It's a non-issue. You haven't made some miraculous discovery about FIC injectors that will gain you any horsepower. You took some measurements. Big whoop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goyou.gif

Last edited:

JNR

Actually, it's .052" not 1/32" (looked at my notes here)...I have a picture showing the two side by side if anybody was interested (on my portable hdd so I'll dig it out).

This wasn't about hp, but making sure it was installed correctly and eliminating potential issues...the details I was talking about are done elsewhere as far as power increases. I'm not a dyno queen, but I guarantee you we build two identical setups and mine will trump yours, as I don't just throw on parts. How many cars have you done again?

My galant is not meant to be a "highest horsepower I can" type and something to brag about (if I want real power, I'll do a V8), but is something different and a good sleeper and there is so many things done to it that you wouldn't even be able to know what all of them were, lol.

Anyway, go put down somebody else, as that sh*t don't work on me, as I see right thru the BS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

turbowop

Wow, big claims for somebody with a gvr4 that doesn't run. I guess now we're bench racing? "Trump" me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

In one reply you say you put out more horsepower than most (which to you proves youre better at building cars?) and in another you say it's not about horsepower. WTF?

Here's a thought. Stop with all the useless measuring and maybe you'd have your car on the road. And quit with the worthless info that you keep spouting in an attempt to be the site's next Toybreaker. That's some BS we can all see through.

JNR

Written english comprehension isn't your strong subject, I can tell...Anyway, not trying to be anything or anybody; I am what I am, as Popeye would say. Difference between us is that I don't take satisfaction in belittling others and avoid it where possible, although if you're gonna push be prepared to be shoved, lol. My purpose here is to share experiences, information and to learn where I can and have a little fun doing it from time to time...There are times I'm wrong and I encourage correction since it's one way of learning, but I don't ever *intentionally* give out false information and least I try to help other, rather than constantly trying to put others down. As for this seating of an o-ring...you're a wire chaser as a trade, right? I can see why this may elude you on why I did what I did then.

turbowop

My English comprehension is just fine. It's your writing skills that suck and your going back and forth on what you're trying to say. And who's belittling? I'm just stating the fact that the difference in injector size has no bearing on its performance in this case. You're just butthurt that I don't agree with you.

And wtf does my career have to do with injector isolators? Try to stay on subject, eh?

vtecds1

They are PTE 1200cc, but the guy that tuned my car..iirc, said they almost behaved like the FIC 1050 or 1100. I have to look back to see if I have it on my email but it might of been verbal.

Looks to be seated ok, but I have not seen any pics on the net to compare it to. I've done multiple blt and found none including the IM and the injector seal. If anyone out there can take a pic of their setup, PTE or not...It would be greatly appreciated.

JNR- Post pics of what you did for for future reference. And heres a close up pic of the injector again...

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

So, let me get this straight.

You're worried that your A/F ratio is "off" as compared to "what you were seeing before"... right?

You've not only changed the intake manifold, but the injectors, and the stock ECU is effectively gone, in favor of Link v3. Right? Of course it's going to be "off". It's a miracle it's as close to the old A/F ratio as it is. Clearly you, or someone knew how to BASICALLY dial in the car to run halfway right. When you went with V3, did you go with SD or a GM MAF? Stock MAF?

You have dsmlink V3. You can dial in whatever A/F ratio you want, and you can also dial in whatever TARGET A/F ratio you want. What's the issue? Tune your car.

I still have to get mine dialed in right. It's not easy starting with SD and no MAF, regardless of what guides are out there or what people claim. I'm considering running stock injectors and maf for a short time just to get a baseline on airflowperrev, so i can know what to shoot for with MSD 1000's and a 4bar MAP.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

Quoting vtecds1:
They are PTE 1200cc, but the guy that tuned my car..iirc, said they almost behaved like the FIC 1050 or 1100. I have to look back to see if I have it on my email but it might of been verbal.

its funny he says that, because that's the way i felt when i put my PTE 1200s in. if you use V3's injector calculator, it will give you -60 something, but that's too much global subtraction. i had to add quite a bit of fuel up top to my setup using those corrections. just play around with them for a little bit, you'll get it right.

vtecds1

I`m hoping that it was done more than "halfway right" as I paid a decent amount to get it tuned by the guy that won the shootout quick 16 this year. I`m running a 2g mas, as it is a little easier for me to learn how to tune the car with the V3.

Quote:
regardless of what guides are out there or what people claim

This is one of the main reason why I had it tuned by Devin...I tried to follow the guides and basics, but I was still coming up short. The settings he came up with were totally different than what I had. It didn't help that the day before the tune, I found out that I wasn't able to ride in the car and learn from. I`m still learning though...

But the main concern, which is the topic of this thread...are my injectors suppose to have a gap?

vtecds1

Took me awhile, but finally found a thread. Not a GVR4, but gives me a little more assurance to look into it more deeply. The PTE install is for an EVO.

* I got this from another forum, hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules. If so, I apologize ahead and mods please feel free to delete the pictures.

Both injectors are PTE. The one on the left has the seals and insulator that it comes with and the one on the right is with the FIC seal kit.

DynastyLCD- Can you double check your injectors to see if you have the same issue.

Mikus- Looks like I'm going to have to do another blt...thanks!

JNR- Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

mine look identical to yours installed, except my injectors are black, not silver. looks like you're good to go!

if you are nervous, boost leak test it, you'll have a definitive answer if it seals or not.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned