The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new vr4 ???

so im about to buy my first running vr4 and i wanted a good daily cause im about to have a kid. my question is should i get an all stock car or roll with one that has minor bolt on's cause im looking at a few and normally i just roll in my 97 tsi fully built, but its become a strip/street car. the one with bolt on's is simple enough it has a built tranny hks bov 2g maf 3" exhaust b16g and i believe a 255lph walboro. i plan on putting some 880cc in it with a 20 g and a fmic, how reliable will it be after those mods

5OF2k

Sounds pretty similar to mine actually. Other than the typical maintenance and the eventual part replacements it's completely reliable. Definitely cant count the occasional break-down out of the equation, esp considering the age of these cars, but thus far(knock on wood)mine has been just fine.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting DSMgetlaid:
so im about to buy my first running vr4 and i wanted a good daily cause im about to have a kid. my question is should i get an all stock car or roll with one that has minor bolt on's cause im looking at a few and normally i just roll in my 97 tsi fully built, but its become a strip/street car. the one with bolt on's is simple enough it has a built tranny hks bov 2g maf 3" exhaust b16g and i believe a 255lph walboro. i plan on putting some 880cc in it with a 20 g and a fmic, how reliable will it be after those mods

how reliable any modifide car will be has more to do with an individual car & who did the work than any particular type of car. There is virtualy nothing left stock on mine & I'd have no problem driving her long distance.

Before I tore her down to restore everthing that is. why tear down a "reliable car"? Caus she's over 20 years old & bushings, seals, ball-joints ect... wear out just as bad with time as miles.

If you don't go the full tear down route you will be constantly chasing worn & breaking parts.

In other words just expect to be driving a twenty year old car That has likely been run hard by one or more owners. things are gonna break.

Reliability depends on you and your taking care of the car.
No modified car can be a daily driver in my experience/opinion.
If you do plan on purchasing and having fun as a daily be prepared with tools/ patience/ cash

transparentdsm

^
i agree 100% you want a reliable daily make it mainly stock. aside from an exhaust, intake and monitoring tools(i.e. datalogger, boost, a/f or wideband, oil pressure) i wouldn't want anything done to the car for a daily.. and you want a reliable daily for the amount of money your spending on the vr4, go buy a honda, it has airbags and its super reliable. im not nocking these cars or saying dont buy one, but if you want safe and reliable for your child get a honda for the money.

AWDPower

I disagree. Reliability has very little to do with modifications, within reason. Maintenance and wear items have much more influence on reliability. If you buy a twenty year old car and mod it, but skip the wear items, it won't be reliable. People do this all the time, then complain that the mods made the car unreliable. But the truth is, the same neglected car would be unreliable even if left stock. The opposite is also true, a well cared for car can and should be reliable with quality, properly installed and set up mods. I daily drove modded DSMs for years without trouble. Keep in mind that many mods (16G level) are pretty much stock parts anyway. One of the main reason our cars get branded as unreliable is that they do go through wear items (hoses, seals, etc.) a bit quicker then some other cars. If you replace them one by one, you will always be breaking down and replacing something. Bite the bullet and do it all at once, and you will have many trouble free miles.

Brunoboy

This is True^, I bought a Modified 2g GSX from Jason back in the day, and it never gave me any problems. I drove it around everywhere and raced it a lot and it took care of me because he obviously took care of it.
-Shane

Ian M

Neither of my GVR4s are stock,or ever have been during my ownership. A stock GVR4 runs like a fat 14-15 sec turd,no way I could go that route-defeats the whole purpose of these cars for me! There is no reason a well maintained simple setup like a 12 sec 16g car should be any less reliable than stock,other than parts that wear/break from driving like an asshole,not from the modifications.

I drove mine as my only transportation for about 6-7 years into the low 12s,and it was reliable as hell. Of course,like any hot rod,I had to replace DP gaskets and little measly maintenance stuff like that. It never left me sit. On the other hand,being in my late 30's now,I really like having a nice quiet stock "adult" mode of transportation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned