The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken bell housing, will FWD BH fit my 91?

So my clutch went out so put the car up on jack stands and noticed that my bell housing is cracked
I really need to find one.

i can buy a whole tranny I guess but I really need to know what options I have

can it be welded ?

will a bell housing from a FWD or 1g eclipse fit?

someone throw me a bone...I rather not sell the car because I can't find what I need /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

How extensive is the crack? If it's just the part near the clutch slave you are in decent shape.

You can weld these up. You will have to remove the tranny and possibly (probably) have to remove the bell housing from the transmission. That's basically a full tranny tear down. The good news is that you really only need a few big nuts and some roll pins to reassemble it. You shouldn't have to re-shim the transmission if you use your original bellhousing that has been repaired.

You can just replace the bellhousing, it will HAVE to be from an AWD T/E/L or USA GVR-4 (aka, non-JDM RS tranny) vehicle. The downside here is that you will have to re-shim the transmission. Not a terribly complex process, but it is very important to how the tranny shifts. It's an added level of complexity best avoided if you can.

My recommendation is to pull the tranny and find a good fabrication/welding shop. Show it to them and they will tell you if they can make the repair without tearing the tranny apart. I would guess the main danger is that you could get the input shaft seal too hot. They should probably be able to tell you if they can keep the bell housing cool enough. If not, you can disassemble the tranny, clean up the bell housing a bit, and bring it to a good TIG welder.

Barnes

What did you end up doing?

GVR47111K

^^^ +1

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned