The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

14b hotside on 20g

yeti

i think a friend of mine put the hot side onto the compressor side of the 20g..

just wondering how well this flows?

td05h 20g....

Last edited:

524of1000

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Let me make sure I'm reading this correctly. A 14b turbine with a 20g compressor wheel? Or just the 14b turbine housing?

conradical

If its a TD05h 20g that means its a 16g turbine housing with a 20g compressor, not a 14b. Im not an expert but I don't think you can put a 14b and 20g together.

5OF2k

Jack's Transmissions used to modify 14b's and build them to outflow a 20g, but other that that, that's all i've heard of. It was pretty sweet actually, because it still had all the 14b markings and everything, but flowed a substantial amount more than a 20g.

without pics, it's somewhat hard to grasp what youre saying/asking though, FWIW.

ktmrider

Or use the VFAQ for a change for RRE's uber complete coverage of this EXACT question.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

yeti

I asked him more detail on it he said" i put the 20g center catridge (with both wheels and shaft) into the 14b hotside with the 20g compressor housing.

Sound like it should work?

I always thought that with a smalled exducer the lag would be retarded? I thought u wasnted a bigger exducer than the inducer or is that only for the turbine/compressor wheels

5OF2k

Yknow, I thought I remembered seeing something on that in the VFAQ in the past, but when I went to check I couldnt find it again for some reason.....?

Ian M

The tdo5h exhaust wheel is the same for both the td05h 20g and the 14b.

The exhaust housings are also externally the same and will interchange,but a 14b is 6cm,the 16g variants/tdo5 20g generally has a 7cm housing. I would imagine the 6cm "might" spool slightly quicker,but would likely limit upper rpm/boost power on a 20g setup unless you ported the hell out of it. Of course,I'm talking about the old school td05 20g that used a MHI housing.

I don't see any benefit from doing it,it would have to be one of things where you'd do it just because you didn't have a 7cm housing,but had a 6cm laying around.

Last edited:

yeti

It feels as if the boost is built a lot faster not sure, haven't rode in his car to much..

So his top end is limited because of the 14b turbine housing, that's what I figured how much would it be limited, past redline?

And the 14b turbine wheel is the same for the tdo5h 20g?(16g housing with 20g internals)

Jason G.

Yes, the TDO5H turbine wheel/shaft is the same for the 14b/16g/20g(td05). The compressor wheel, back plate and cover are really the only thing different between these turbos.

The 6cm turbine housing will choke the 20g down and may even cause it to surge.
I'd try to find a 7cm for it to get the benefit of the 20g.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts