The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help diagnosing steering wheel shimmy over bumps

kitcho

So my galant has some very serious steering wheel shake when going over bumps. It is hugely noticeable when I go over a bump or road imperfection that only affects one side of the car, left or right. When this happens, the steering wheel moves violently in that direction. When it affects both wheels simultaneously, it isn't nearly as noticeable.

I jacked up the front end and did the test where you hold the front wheels at the 9 and 3 position and the 12 and 6 position. Absolutely no play at the 12 and 6 position. At the 9 and 3 position, I am able to move either wheel somewhat which causes the steering wheel to move significantly, say 1/4 turn each way. Looking under the car while doing this, the outer tie rod was tight with no play. I am worried that the steering rack may be done for. How can i verify that this is the case?

turbowop

Have you tried a fresh alignment? Grabbing the tire and 9 and 3 and moving it will cerainly move the steering wheel back and forth. That's normal.

kitcho

I should also point out that my front struts are leaking oil (kyb gr-2 w/ stock springs), and the strut mounts appear to be cracked and in poor condition. My current plan is to replace the front struts and strut mounts and go for an alignment. Could worn struts and mounts cause steering shimmy?

Thanks

SouthCaliVR4

sounds like a ball-joint/tie rod end kind o thing. check your rack mounts too. blown strut, I think, would present in a different manor.

Noobsauce

Seems like you need a full suspention rebuild anyways. Get the car in the air and check for loose ball joints and tierod ends. It's Easyer if you have someone move the wheels while your under inspecting. Also get a screwdriver or prybar and check the bushings by putting leverage against the control arms and see how far the bushings squeeze.

kitcho

The outer tie rods were replaced a couple years ago. How do i diagnose inner tie rods or ball joints? How much play should there be in the control arm bushings?

tsitalon1

Quoting kitcho:
I should also point out that my front struts are leaking oil (kyb gr-2 w/ stock springs), and the strut mounts appear to be cracked and in poor condition. My current plan is to replace the front struts and strut mounts and go for an alignment. Could worn struts and mounts cause steering shimmy?

Thanks

Kidding right?

Leaking struts, cracked mounts, and your worried about a shimmy!! Wow.

Rebuild the front end!

rdomeck

You know you have bad parts? Replace them, but put something different than KYB. The struts could very well be your problem and they probably don't have very many miles on them.

Noobsauce

also assuming the outer joints are fine because you replaced them 2 years ago is a bad idea. anything can go bad in any amount of time. check it all out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned