The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shaking steering wheel

My steering wheel has been having some shaking issues for a while and i cant track them down.

Things i have already done:
1. Alignment (about a year ago, but it should still be good.... i havent hit anything or messed with it at all)
2. replaced ball joints (very recently)
3. balanced and rotated tires

Things that may be causing the problem IMO:
1. the P.O. put KYB struts and lowering springs on and i dont know when they were put on.
2. i have an aftermarket steering wheel and momo adapter
4. rack and pinion
5. tie rods

The steering wheel mainly shakes when i am coasting. If i get on it hard I can't usually feel it, and when I brake it pulls a little bit one way, but no shaking so I dont think it is the rotors. I understand a little bit of shaking is normal with an aftermarket steering wheel and adapter, but this seems a little excessive. Any ideas on which is the most likely culprit and how to confirm that?

Thanks

Barnes

I would start by checking your inner and outer tie rod ends. I have a bad inner tie rod end (tie rod? inner tie rod joint?) and it sounds very similar to your problem.

turbowop

Quoting 92Galant926:
I understand a little bit of shaking is normal with an aftermarket steering wheel and adapter, but this seems a little excessive.

I'm not sure where you head this, but I have a Momo on each of my GVR4's and don't have any shaky steering wheel issues.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I would have to say that you should be getting shaking mainly from tires.

Have the tires been rotated from front to rear, and checked again?

Last edited:

turbowop

Back in '99 or so, when 1051 was mostly stock other than some wheel/tires/springs, I went for a year with a nasty shake in the wheel and felt throughout the whole damn car. I had the tires balanced multiple times, other stuff looked at to figure it out and nothing worked. I took it back to the tire place (again) and FINALLY somebody with a brain did the balance. He realized the f***ing wheels were out of round. I got a brand new set and never had an issue again. Man that was a stupid mess.

AnotherNewb

Quoting FlyingEagle:

+1

Also if you have replaced suspension parts AFTER your last alignment then it should be aligned again. Like stated before, an aftermarket steering wheel isn't going to make your car shake

Quoting flyingeagle:
have the tires been rotated

He states in the OP he balanced and rotated the tires.

+1 on getting a new alignment after wrenching on suspension parts.

gvr4230

I've had a sticking front caliper create a steering wheel shimmy.

dmj

Could be warped rotors, tires out of balance, bad wheel bearings, bad tie rods you have to check the entire suspension/steering system.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
I would start by checking your inner and outer tie rod ends. I have a bad inner tie rod end (tie rod? inner tie rod joint?) and it sounds very similar to your problem.

Inner tie rod ends? I believe the shaft just comes out of the Rack and there are only outer tie rod ends. Is that not correct?

Barnes

So basically the consensus is you need to burn it to the ground and buy a brand new car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Quoting turbowop:

I'm not sure where you head this, but I have a Momo on each of my GVR4's and don't have any shaky steering wheel issues.

Okay, I guess shaking may not be the right word to use, but rather "feel the road" more. It is definitely shaking though so i guess the steering wheel should not the problem.

Quoting FlyingEagle:

The tires are about 5,000 miles old. Had them balanced when they were installed obviously. I have had them rotated once since then, and am not sure if they were re-balanced. Maybe i should have it checked again. It should be free.

Quoting turbowop:
Back in '99 or so, when 1051 was mostly stock other than some wheel/tires/springs, I went for a year with a nasty shake in the wheel and felt throughout the whole damn car. I had the tires balanced multiple times, other stuff looked at to figure it out and nothing worked. I took it back to the tire place (again) and FINALLY somebody with a brain did the balance. He realized the f***ing wheels were out of round. I got a brand new set and never had an issue again. Man that was a stupid mess.

Ill ask the guys at the tire shop to re-balance and check my wheels. Hopefully i get a decent employee to help me when i go though.

The wheel does not shake at all while braking. Hitting the brakes makes it feel completely steady so I dont think warped rotors are the problem. Ill check to be sure the brakes are fully disengaging though.

The only suspension part i have replaced is the ball joints since the last alignment.... dont think that would effect it much. Maybe ill replace whatever else i want to in the suspension and then get it aligned.

I guess its time to just go through the system one component at a time and either replace or be sure its good.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
So basically the consensus is you need to burn it to the ground and buy a brand new car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Considered, but figured if i just built the motor and trans the suspension might be worth dealing with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ill look through and see what i can find. Im planning on a rotation and balance this week and seeing what happens.

The fact that is only shakes while coasting and not while braking/accellerating doesnt point to anything specific?

464/2K

Swing your car by our shop maybe we can help you out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned