The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

steering wheel shakes goin over 65+ mph

Well, after getting an alignment I cruise da highway and as i'm accelerating i notice my steering wheel shaking everytime i try to go over 65 mph. Since i will be making a 30+ hour trip to cali, i would rather not have the wheel do that. THAT WOULD DRIVE ME NUTS!!! I buddy of mine suggest I balance my tires. I have someone that can hook me up with free service for that, but I was wondering what you guys think could also be causing the problem? I leave Thursday night on April 13th, so any advice asap would be grateful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mine does the same thing. You are probably out of allignment. You may just need to check the tire pressure and make sure they are even. Even if you just had an allignment, they are human and could have goofed it up. Is this new, or a result of the allignment?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

I just got that exact same thing fixed on Tuesday.

Here is what I did:

I replaced both struts, lower ball joints, both axles, wheel bearing on pass side, both rotors with pads, and both sway bar links. Tires only 2 months old and had it aligned. The car ran great but anything over 70 the wheel shook VERY BAD.

I had the front tires re-balanced both dynamically. The problem is gone. Perfect.

The tires were balanced staticly before and were within specs, but still vibrated.

Take your ride to a very reputable place and have them done.

90% of the time its because your tires and wheels are not balanced. If regular dynamic balancing doesn't work, try to find a place with a Hunter GSP 9700 machine.

www.gsp9700.com

CP

I think it's also called a Hunter "Roadforce" machine. I just got my 17s balanced last weekend, but they didn't use the Roadforce machine, which puts around a 1200# load on the tire to check if the weights are doing their job. I'm headed back this weekend for round #2.

Just got the tires balanced and now no shaking goin over 65+ mph baby!!! Now i am pretty confident i can make it to cali in one piece. Just got all the fluids replaced, coolant flushed, tire pressure checked, checked the tension of the belts, brakes look good... Like i said the motor has less than 12,000 miles on it, so hopefully Sade will be A-OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry Posten

Good to hear, I just did a 115 mph blast on I80 to dry it after a quick car wash. Before I cound not do 70 without feeling like I was going into the ditch.

Makes a BIG difference.

Good luck with the trip.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts