The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternator........too soon?

jnava

Staff member
I just bought the damn thing and three full weeks later and im back to square one. My guess is tgat I should try the grounding issue and possibly the heatsheild.. luckily, its still under those limited lifetime deals.

mitsuturbo

I've had alternators from Checker last a DAY before. After i went through WAY too many of them in 4 months, i went to vatozone and got one. It lasted nearly a year. Then again, i've had vatozone alternators take a dumb on me after about 3 months. Still better than my experience with checker/shucks/cragen/oreilly though.

jnava

Staff member
Vatozone..lol. I went to orrielys since it was the only one in my vicinity. I paid some one to do it for me. I don't have time. Dealers cost an ARM and I wonder if i could upgrade to a more expensive unit? Like Bosch?

WaRrIoRs16

I switched to a tubular o2 housing and went through two alternators before I wrapped the o2 housing with heat wrap. Going strong for 4 months now. I have no way of proving it was the o2 housing, but I had to try and adjust something since I was putting in the third alternator in a two weeks.

jnava

Staff member
No that you mention that, I have an aftermarket o2 that dumps to atmosphere. I was thinking of buying a evo 3 version just to keep my car just a heck of a bit quieter unlike the present moment when that wastgate opens.

alansupra94

Wait. So you have a O2 housing dumping onto your alternator and you saw nothing wrong with that.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

turbowop

I'm pretty sure his wastegate doesn't dump straight to the alternator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Most of them dump under the car or at least face straight down behind the front crossmember. That said, most people don't have a heatshield on their aftermarket o2 housing, whether they're open dump or recirc and that heat plays havoc on the alternator.

The last Bosch I had on 1051 lasted over six years. But then, that car doesn't see many miles either. I had to replace it a couple years ago. Been fine since.

alansupra94

Regardless there will be heat increased in that area. You really need to have a shield on the alternator in order for it to last.

prove_it

^agreed,

Without a heat sheild the electronics are subjected to a lot of heat cycling. There are ways of using subaru alternators and saturn alternators, both can handle the heat better. In my opinion a genuine new or reman mitsu alternator would be the best choice. Stay away from AC delco. They use far inferior electronics in the alternator.

Good luck and welcome the quick death of alternators we all have been through at some point.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned