The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternator froze...

so i got my galant running for the first time in about three months, and i drve her to the car wash and gave her a bath and drove back home, so night time comes around so i decide to take her for a little cruise, i notice my stereo turning on and off and then i come to a stop light and my lights dimmer then the car shuts off. "dam i guess i need a new alternator too" can anyone give me some tips to replacing the alternator? havent done this befor on the galant, im still kinda learning. any help would be great, thanx Swanee...

chucklesas

It's been a while since I've had a car I needed to do it with, but if memory serves me correct I suggest the following:

DISCONNECT BATTERY first, then Remove Upper IC pipe (not sure you actually have to do this step), unbolt 3 bolts from power steering pump, rotate out of way, remove PS pump bracket (3 bolts, 2 on front one on side) remove alternator (disconnect wire and plug, loosen bolt on tensioner, turn tensioner CCW to release tension on belt, remove long bolt at base of alternator and it should come out with some rocking up and down), Install in reverse. You may have to put the car in gear and rock it back and forth to get the holes on the PS pump to line up with the bolts.

I think that should do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hertz

Staff member
Some people swear by the "lifetime warranty" alternators, but that does not mean quality... It means they will keep replacing it with the same junk. Since you're in Chicago, look up Cano Electric for a quality rebuild.

Replacing the alternator, I usually drain the coolant and pull the radiator out, then pull your intercooler pipe (hotside) should give you enough room to get it out.

If you're in need of a spare I have one ready to go.

chucklesas

I also did a search for you +alternator +removal: click

thanx alot guys, hertz il take you up on the alternator< what price you thinkin< bc we can meet up whenever. pm me if you like or just leave it here either way try to let me know, thnx again, >Swanee

mikus

Cano had a save $10 print coupon on their site btw.

(Hope I don't mess up Hertz's sale and get teh BaNZ0rz)

Hertz

Staff member
Er, ah, that wasn't a sale feeler -- I meant that he can borrow mine while his is being rebuilt. I still expect him to go to Cano. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned