The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lots of Knock... with log

SleepinGVR4

One thing I'm not understanding is, I wired my WB to my ecu so I can log it. It shows up on my logger but its not showing up on the excel speed sheet.

That looks like Phantom Knock. But, your chip has the PK Code, so I'm not sure why you are seeing that. What was the vacuum/boost reading when that happened?
Also, what is with those fueltrims? You are way too rich. Is your base fuel pressure at the stock 37psi? Are you tuning with an AFC?

SleepinGVR4

The boost psi was around 10. Yeah my fuel pressure is set to 37psi. Its hard to see with the gauge being so small but its got to be close. I know those fuel trims are super rich. I just don't know how to get them where they are supposed to be. And no I don't have a SAFC. I really have no way to tune. I have your eprom chip Jeff, and a FPR but thats really about it.

You need to keep dropping the base fuel pressure until the trims stay closer to 100.
At 10psi the PK code is not active. Is this just a random thing, or can you make it knock every time?

SleepinGVR4

OK thanks Jeff I'll lower the base fuel pressure. And It seems pretty random it usually happens going up this hill by my house in 4th gear. It did it again yesterday, I can post that log if you like.

SleepinGVR4

Jeff another thing I'm noticing is that, if I'm in say 4th gear at about 35mph my WB is reading so lean that its not reading on my WB and struggles like its hitting fuel cut.

The last time my car had symptoms like this it was because my injectors were real dirty. I just had them cleaned like 2 months ago. I don't know how they could get dirty so fast again. Hell I don't know how they got so dirty the first time. They were brand new when I bought my eprom chip and injectors from you.

Have you tried logging while doing 35mph in 4th, particularly the O2 voltage, to see if it stops cycling? I'm thinking what you are actually feeling in the PK, and the timing being pulled.

Very strange, everything looks good except the O2 volts drop to zero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
You aren't getting any CEL codes? It would seem to indicate an injector/fuel issue, as you said. The PW and Hz look great, but the O2 sensor isn't indicating that there is enough fuel. Do you have any way to watch the fuel pressure while driving? Do you have an AFC?

SleepinGVR4

No check engine codes are being thrown. No I don't have anyway to watch the fuel pressure while driving. I guess I'm going to have to do it the poor mans way. And get a vacuum barb and connect it to my FPR and run a vacuum line from the barb to the gauge and put it underneath my wiper blade. I wish I had an electronic FR sending unit and gauge to connect it to. But most of them are kinda expensive, guess I'll have to pony up at some point. Another thing is that the reason I suspected a fuel system problem is that my plugs always look like they are running lean (the electrodes are white). I was told this is a sign of running lean.

And no I don't have a SAFC. When I put my car together, I was trying to avoid using one.

steve

Ha! My O2 volts were dropping to 0.0V under load. I believe removing the FPR solenoid resolved it. I don't know if it was bad, or it was hooked up wrong, but I'm pretty sure that resolved it.

steve

Well thats not it. What I was seeing was fuel pressure was dropping under load, and this was with a new fuel pump. IIRC running the vac line from a boost source directly to the FPR, without the solenoid in play, fixed it. I used a fuel pressure gauge on a long line so I could tuck it under my wiper and watch pressure while driving.

SleepinGVR4

OK so I did what was suggested and ran some fuel line and put my FP gauge under the wiper. And my fuel pressure is rising with my boost so I guess that rules that problem out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned