The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECMLINK guys help needed

prove_it

So I've been playing around trying to get the boost control down, but now I'm looking to get a great tune down also.
First log is where I started, was super rich so made adjustments to fuel tab.
Second log was the changes, but showed lots of knock. So I sat down and rebuilt the tables. Adjusted the boost tables too.

Went out all excited hoping the knock would be gone, which it was but was super disappointed, it had no power. Looked over the log and saw the worst boost line for a S16G ever. What happened? I checked the wastegate and the actuator arm is still attached and wont move from closed, no clamps or hoses came loose, so doubt it's mechanical.

Logs 3-5 show the changes after the DA table changes and boost table changes. Something happened between the 2nd and 3rd log.
So did I mess up the timing for spool up? How about my boost tables? I should still see the 10lb spring pressure as a minimum right? I went from being able to get 20psi at 4k to 2psi.

log 1
log 2
log 3
log 4
Log 5

SD with 2.0L 8.5:1 comp, BC springs and retainers, 3G lifters, BSE, Kelford 264 cams, Ralliart thick HG, Polished head, Cyclone manifold with FPR control, Wally 255 rewired, Fuel Lab FPR at 43psi, FIC 850cc Injectors, FP race ex manifold, S16G ported, E3 O2 housing ported, 2.5" full exhaust no cat, LC-1 WB, 2 1/4" IC pipe with front mount, 1G BOV Bypass mod with EGR control, poly engine mounts, A/C and P/S intact.

thecman02

I'm not familiar with Boost control in link since I don't use it, but you reduced your waste gate duty cycle quite a bit so that will ruin your ability to hold boost. If your turbo was bigger I'd say you'd usually keep a minimum boost equal to wastegate pressure, but my theory is that your flowing more than it can build. I would say you might need to adjust the actuator arm because it isn't closed. Usually I'll run a real high wastegate duty cycle in the very low rpms to get that baby to spool up hard and then adjust to whatever pressure you want to hold. You might want to raise that in baby steps though so you don't go blowing your engine. Your AFRs are too lean in your spool up region. I saw 11.5-12 at 20psi. If your on pump gas that is a nasty afr to be at, which is why your having knock problems. The timing itself was pretty damn aggressive in my opinion. If you can get your boost to hold steady I think you'll be impressed with your car but its going to feel like a dog when your boost is tapering that bad.

Recommendations to change tune.
Lower your global fuel a tad bit, raise your VE % in spool up. Those adjustments should get your Boostest to line up with map sensor at 5000+ rpm which will give you a very accurate airflow number. You want that afr to 11 by 10psi boost. Raise your waste duty cycle much higher at 3000rpm and less. Put it to something conservative after that and keep raising till you hold the boost you want. I'd back off the timing a few degrees everywhere in the 10psi and above range to keep it conservative and knock free. Feed the timing back in once you get your afr's and boost stable.

Double check that the wastegate is completely closed mechanically.

Last edited:

prove_it

What about the changes in the DA tables I made in log 3? I know the VE table needs some touch up work. I saw after log 2 the super lean condition so I changed the fuel and timing tables, tweaked the VE table. Do the new tables look better or are they still aggressive and lean? I based them off of evo 8 maps then just dialed them back.

Wasn't sure if the table changes had caused the boost issue or if a deeper mechanical issue. It was good then poof no boost til after 5k.

Also the ECMlink boost control is set up to run wastegate pressure in case of a failure of the solenoid. Must be hanging up the wastegate then huh?

Last edited:

thecman02

The DA tables in log 3 look reasonable. Just need to get VE table closer and boost setup.

prove_it

remind me, larger numbers mean more airflow on the VE table right? Also would about 48% fuel be right or closer to 50%

thecman02

Higher ve% increases your fueling. The overall global didn't seem to bad. I'd decrease the global by about 1% and go from there.

prove_it

Sweet, thank you very much. I see I'm hitting around 38lb/min, do you think more boost will raise it, or am I tapped out of air? According to the compressor map for a s16g it seems I'm still around 60-65% efficiency at that pressure. I really want to max this guy out completely. Air temp seems to be only around 20degrees above compressor inlet so far. I know my intake could be better. What would you say my max timing should be around? The local tuner here is a bit of a dick/yet nice guy. A street tune would cost me $400+ which is stupid.

thecman02

I think the tune was overestimating airflow by 7 percent. So you probably flowing closer to 34ish lb/min. If you can get that bad boy to hold boost around 20psi to redline you'd pretty much be maxing out the turbo. As far as timing goes I can't really tell you with any certainty because every car is different. If you end up pushing the turbo harder that threshold for timing you can achieve gets reduced too.

prove_it

Well figured out the boost issue. Looks like I get to swap in a new turbine housing. The bushing the wastegate arm goes through backed out and stuck the wastegate open about 10 degrees, so it wouldn't stay closed fully. Explains why it would build 15psi but did what it did. Luckily I scored a like new genuine 7cm e3 housing a while back.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned